Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to show the tool in action. My old dewalt brushed impact isn't the most powerful impact out there, but when you work on saws, ya really don't want a super powerful impact driver. It's so easy to **** **** up. Even though this is a clutch, I still am used to babying it when I use an impact on a saw. I dunno how the newer ones are, but this one responds very linearly. Making it easy to adjust how much power you use with the trigger pull. I use an adapter so I can power it with new XR batteries.

So... after a lot of struggle, I have this 361WES apart(AKA Echo 355P/360P, the handle version of the 355T).
If someone plops a 355T in front of you, tell them no.
Anywho, it appears to have been straight gassed. I am gonna try to restore it since it appears to mainly be aluminum transfer.
However, the most powerful thing we have in the house is formic acid, a step down from muriatic/hcl. Is it a waste of time to try?
Looking on line it says this stuff readily dissolves aluminum.
I've already spent a bit of time with a metal polisher to take the biggest ridges down, but I want to make sure all the AL is gone.
I think I also have caustic soda like drain cleaner here somewhere...

Also, look at these crank stuffers! In a clamshell. What?! Looks like I can give it a little more intake timing then...
174111857.597d646f.JPEG

174111856.58a7e71e.JPEG

So, I didn't have any sodium hydroxide, but you know what? My local hardware sure did.

174114740.61a44c96.JPEG

Supa strength!(sawfun's nickname in highschool, BTW)

From this:

174114744.f0804a45.JPEG

To this:

174114742.837d4dc3.JPEG

To this:

174114741.a5f09fcc.JPEG

That's right, sodium hydroxide ported my exhaust while it was cleaning the cylinder.

And here's sumfin ya don't see every day - a piston telling you the exhaust is to the side:

174114745.7b077217.JPEG

NaOH cleans aluminum transfer and also ports exhaust: noted for future use. Good work yo!

It's just less toxic than handling HCL. Unlike acid, which will dissolve most anything it touches, especially your clothes, this won't pit any metal other than aluminum(which it aggressively dissolves). So you can leave it in the cylinder as long as you like and it won't touch the nikasil or chrome. And if you get it on your clothing(or nearly anything else) - it just cleans it instead of damaging it. Some cylinders have only plated the sides and whatever creeps into the ports. So be careful there and keep it off the squish if it isn't plated like on sleeved Macs etc. In any case, if you are gonna port the saw afterwards, it doesn't matter if ya get a little it into the ports unless ya really spill it down there. I use a Q-tip to apply it where it is needed. Just remember to mix it strong so you need as little applied as possible. What I did just to be careful is I applied it, waited fifteen minutes, rinsed it entirely, repeat until it was clean. Took three runs. It's easy to do when you are working on other things. With NOAH, you can easily mix it strong enough so 15 minutes will dissolve it all very violently, but I didn't want it too aggressive in case I got it everywhere, and I didn't want an H2 explosion, so I mixed it strong 'ish'.
Also, remember that this process releases hydrogen. So no smoking while yer doing it.
And, unlike acid, once you are done you can use what's left to clean whatever needs cleaning(even like bricks or concrete etc) and pour the rest down the drain as it is mainly used as a drain cleaner.
But bear in mind, this stuff isn't as fast acting as acid is, and you will have to do multiple passes. It's really for use once you have polished it all up and want to get rid of any traces of aluminium.

Another thing I noticed is this 361wes has a different piston than I have seen in 355T's. Now, if it were my own saw, I would order the 355 piston to test it out, but this belongs to someone else. The 361 piston is a solid slug vs the windowed 355. And judging by how more eagerly the stock 355 revs vs this 360, I can see it makes a difference.

NaOH cleans aluminum transfer and also ports exhaust: noted for future use. Good work yo!
I hadn't realized I had missed a step in the NAOH process.
This shoulda been the third photo:

174122591.30b7905d.JPEG

That's like the third application. You can see the nikasil on the top of the cylinder is nice and clean by now.
It's very easy to tell what is nikasil and what is Aluminum transfer because this stuff turns AL into a rough dark colour.
If it's shiny, it's not aluminum. The dark stuff at the top of the cylinder there is carbon build up. It is slowly coming clean as I slop in the NAOH.

Now, I have another cylinder that is pretty bad. SO bad I am leaving the stuff on over night. So, for basket cases, you can fire and forget.
It either comes clean or it doesn't.

Wes, it looks a like downtown Dublin was trying to imitate Portland a little bit. Just add meth, fentanol, and excess mental illness on the streets, and you'll be right proper.

It's worse than they are showing. We got plenty of fentanyl and heroin et al here. :(
Our police are very tame by American standards. So riots get out of hand very quickly. They have no rubber bullets, rarely use pepper spray, and definitely none of that badass water cannon stuff like they have up in Northern Ireland.
You should read more on what happened.
We have a staunch nationalists movement here that makes very little sense as most of them are worthless and jobless. You want less immigrants? Get a job.
Then there's the scumbags who want any excuse to riot or steal.

The absolute insanity of it all is the man who stopped the guy who was running around stabbing people was an immigrant from Brazil! He saved countless Irish lives yesterday by jumping into the middle of it and attacking the guy armed with a knife, knocking his ass to the ground, and subduing him. Then loads of scumbags come out of the woodwork blaming immigrants. Just, the stupidity of it all.

Speaking of too much drugs, those idiots rioting and breaking into Arnotts and Footlocker were stealing shoes and jerseys. What are they worth on the street? Nearly nothing? I woulda crashed into a pharmacy and freed up all that fentanyl, morphine, codein, tramadol, oxy, etc THERE'S your street value...

Check this out, tho. This is the guy who saved those kids and that woman from some crazy stabby Algerian yesterday.
It made the news and the donations started pouring in. The guy was working for deliveroo, saw the knife guy, hopped off his bike and bludgeoned him with his helmet until he was incapacitated. Then the police show up, cordon the whole areas, which included his scooter, and then...riots.
So he is without his scooter. But something tells me he'll be OK.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/buy-caio-benicio-a-pint

Ok, maybe a bit too similar to Portland. I've been wanting to do a deal where we trade US citizenships of lazy basement sitting Millennials and "Z'rs" with the hispanic workers we have, for a while now. We did have a small protest this past summer that involved a group of young girls protesting the cops in Tennessee killing the active school shooter. The worlds a change'n and none for the better most of the time around here.

Ok, maybe a bit too similar to Portland. I've been wanting to do a deal where we trade US citizenships of lazy basement sitting Millennials and "Z'rs" with the hispanic workers we have, for a while now. We did have a small protest this past summer that involved a group of young girls protesting the cops in Tennessee killing the active school shooter. The worlds a change'n and none for the better most of the time around here.

It's like with everything and everywhere and everyone. Things are always better in a different time. People are always different in different places. Kids were always better behaved when we were younger, etc etc.
Well, let me tell you, people were all kinds of stupid all the time, and this time and this place is no different.
Now, are they more empowered? Maybe. And here in Ireland, though I am definitely not fond of some of the police thuggery I have seen stateside, simply allowing people to riot is basically empowering rioters. We'll see more of this until they get a handle on things.
Also, funny I should mention the water cannons - Northern Ireland just donated us one. Which is kind of cheeky.

So how is everybody?
I recently got a job in an industrial kitchen doing stock and cleaning up as a night porter.
So no customer interaction as it's in a warehouse area. And geziz the food does not look like it's good for ya :)
Otherwise, nuttin new. Still porting saws on the side and trying to survive.

I did see this, tho:

Hope yer OK, Don?

Latest posts

Back