Willow tree questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRM

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought and planted this willow for my wife on our 10th anniversary. It has really thrived each year since....until recently perhaps. What is causing this? Frost damage or? First 2 pictures are of the same damaged area. Last one is from last year but didn't seem to worsen so I wasn't too concerned. This year has brought new damage....I can't say for sure when it came about but it looks to be recent.
My wife has always liked willows and absolutely loves this tree. We have plans on putting a small picnic area under the tree one day when it's big enough. Advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220703_203731.jpg
    20220703_203731.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220703_203741.jpg
    20220703_203741.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220703_203759.jpg
    20220703_203759.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220703_203811.jpg
    20220703_203811.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Root flare - most definitely an error on my part when planting. I will look into that - thank you.

Is there any recourse if the damage is frost cracking?

If it makes a difference, the area the tree is planted in is high and dry. Even during the wettest part of the year there is no standing water anywhere near the tree.

Root flare - most definitely an error on my part when planting. I will look into that - thank you.

Is there any recourse if the damage is frost cracking?

If it makes a difference, the area the tree is planted in is high and dry. Even during the wettest part of the year there is no standing water anywhere near the tree.

No recourse on the frost cracking, if that is what it is. Some old timers used to paint trunks white, or wrap that white plastic strips around the trunk. A vigorous tree should compartmentalize it quickly.

Willows love water and may be stressed if growing in a dry location.

I don't believe it is or has ever been stressed from lack of water. I am close to Lake Erie, my particular location averages north of 40" of rainfall and 100" of snow annually.
"High and dry" was kind of a relative term to the topography here.

I will study up on exposing the root flare more. Thank you sir.

Well I certainly made an error in planting this guy. Goes to show even simple tasks can be screwed up. Research pays dividends....

Early this morning I went out and peeled the sod back and the flare is visible, at least the tops of them. There appears to be 3 main roots and a handful of smaller, like finger sized and smaller, roots. I haven't seen any that cross over each other. They appear to all be growing perpendicular to the trunk. Later I'll dig some more and grab some pictures for your opinion. I have an appointment to get my ass kicked on a bike ride with my son 😃

Happy Independence Day to all.

It appears to me the last pic is showing a substantial old trunk wound. The first pics are of reaction wood growth on the opposite side of the trunk wound. Willows lose integrity quickly from decay. It's common to see them bulking up to maintain structural support.

Back