Better Saw to Replace Echo CS590?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the stores open tomorrow, I'll find out what's available and who can work on it if it breaks down.

I found a new Echo repair place. I have used them to put a Kubota tractor back together, and there were no real problems. Very slow, like the others, but they actually fixed the tractor instead of giving it back and saying they couldn't figure it out. I'll call tomorrow and see what's up.

In any event, I want a second big saw, preferably not all-plastic like the 460.

how big of oaks are you bucking where your 590 was not up to the task? That’s hard to believe.

Four pages of what it might be, why it isnt and how it cant be.
Slice through all the crap and put clear photos up of the pistons viewed through the exhaust port with the mufflers off.
Videos of the Echo and Jonsered running be good as well- at idle and WOT.

Fuel tank vents let air into the tank, not gas, to replace the gas being used.

Bucking a 4 ft oak daily as a profession? I agree there are better choices. The occasional 4 ft on a farm? 590 is fine.

Nobody said anything about daily?

The OP said the Echo was adequate but not great for bucking up oaks, I'd agree with that assessment on a 60cc saw. If he's look at replacing the saw, getting something bigger isn't a bad idea.

I've had it with my Echo CS590 Timberwolf. This thing has been down most of the time I've had it, and you have to be a wizard to start it. I thought I was the problem, but then I saw posts all over the web complaining about it. I started it yesterday and then put it down for a minute, and I haven't been able to do anything with it since. I watch Youtube videos and read stuff on the web, and it doesn't seem to help. It floods if you breathe on it.

Is there a good 60cc saw out there that a) actually starts when cold and hot, and b) is not a miserable saw to work on? I have a Jonsered CS2240, and it actually runs, but working on it is a horror. Makes me wonder if a Jonsered/Husky 60cc is a bad idea.

I would prefer not to spend a grand on a Stihl, but I live on a farm, so it's not out of the question.

These days I do most of my work with a Makita cordless chainsaw and a $99 cordless Kobalt pole saw! Unbelievable, when I own an Echo, a Jonsered, and an Echo gas pole saw.
I just got a Timberwolf and sought to return it after I couldn't get it started after I ran through one tank of fuel. Today it did start-cold. I'll work tomorrow and see how it goes. It was a horrible day in my head after I couldn't get the thing fired up after refueling yesterday.

If you aren't happy with a 590, you aren't going to be happy with those other farm and ranch saws either. This is the good one.
You said you replaced the carb. That means it's out of tune. Those screws could be set to anything. I will try to send you the service manual in a PM.

General starting tip: Pull the choke out, don't touch the throttle. Pull, pull, till you get a blip. Push the choke in, don't touch the throttle. Pull, pull, it should start. If it dies after you have been running it, Pull the choke, push the choke in. Pull, pull, etc. There is a fast idle setting when you pull the choke out/in. Engaging the throttle turns it off.
I saw a Youtube lady... She said
Ignore everything that woman says.

If the carb is improperly tunes, the sparkplug could easily be carbon fouled or gas flooded.
I don't know if it's the modern gas or the sparkplugs, but it seems like once a spark plug gets good and gas fouled, you might as well throw it out and start fresh.
Get a new NGK plug and retune the carb.
Don't run anything but an NGK in an Echo!

I just got a Timberwolf and sought to return it after I couldn't get it started after I ran through one tank of fuel. Today it did start-cold. I'll work tomorrow and see how it goes. It was a horrible day in my head after I couldn't get the thing fired up after refueling yesterday.
Thankfully my new Timberwolf is running fine after a smokey start up yesterday. Until proven otherwise, the problem was operator error. I'd rather fix that than the saw.

Lots of activity here. I can add a few things.

When I said tank vents let "gas" in, I meant air, which is a gas. Sorry about that.

Most of the stuff I need a big, fast saw for is between maybe 10" and 18" across, but I get a lot of trees that are over 20", and they are a pain to cut with a 20" saw. Going to 24" would make a big difference. You would be surprised how the number of trees starts to drop off once you go past 24" of reach. There are so few trees I would put at 30" here, I pretty much know them all.

It would be good to have something that pulls really well at 24". A longer bar might be annoying to transport and so on. I usually carry my saws in the top of a ballast box on my tractor.

Thanks for the instructions on starting the saw. I have done it that way. This way. The other way. You name it. No procedure is reliable. I have a Husky blower that almost always farts on the third pull with the choke on, and my Echo pole trimmer starts really easily, even if it is currently in need of a little work. My huge Echo blower WILL start, even if it takes 10 pulls. The CS590 is the worst.

I managed to start it twice in the last week, and no method worked twice.

I need a good local mechanic. Maybe the new place will work.

I bought my 620P when the 490 took way too long to cut the 30"+ Ashs we were felling down here.
Was taking me hours to buck up a 70-80 foot tree with 490/20", down to an hour or so to do all the cuts with the 620P with 24" bar.
The 490 is great for up to 18" trees.
Use a pole saw for up to 4-8" trees.

The problem has been solved, and anyone here who works selling saws can learn from my story.

I went to the nearby Stihl place. They were very nice, and they assured me they could turn small repair and maintenance problems around in a week or so, barring the need for hard-to-find parts.

On the other hand...

1. There were three guys there, and none of them knew much about chainsaws. They were not very familiar with the Stihl line. I had to Google and confirm stuff they said. One of them said I needed to visit when the "two-stroke guy" was there.

2. I'm pretty sure they represented a non-M-tronic model as an M-tronic saw. I don't think they knew it.

3. I asked what they could do regarding price, and they said "nothing." Stihl sets the price, and you pay it. Over $900.

4. I mentioned Echo, and they said they wouldn't let an Echo product come through the door. So much for getting my old saw worked on.

5. They're a Husqvarna dealer, but they don't sell Husqvarna saws.

In the parking lot, I looked up the next-nearest Husqvarna dealer, and I drove over. Same kind of place. Tractors, saws, zero-turns, and so on. There was one guy there, in a dirty shirt. He worked on machinery, himself.

1. He knew everything about Husqvarna saws as well as Echos. He used to work in an Echo shop. I asked him all sorts of stuff about the 562XP on the wall, and he knew all about it. He knew all the known issues. He knew the best way to cope with the ethanol crisis. He told me stuff no one else had, and I have researched for years.

2. He said he could fix Echo products. No problem. He also does Jonsered, of course. He had a Husqvarna 435 there, which is just like my ailing Jonsered. He can fix my bogging Echo trimmer.

3. I asked about the price, and he gave me a 15% discount which wasn't officially supposed to kick in until later in the month. I asked about the warranty, and he said Husqvarna would add three years if I bought their gas.

4. He told me about the yearly stuff the new saw would need and about what it would cost.

When he told me about the discount, I was sold. He said I only needed to spend $28 on the gas, so I jumped on it. He registered me with Husqvarna. He took the saw, filled it, and checked it out.

I'm going to bring my sick tools in and get them fixed. Then I'll have three gas saws and one cordless, so it's not likely I'll end up with no saws that work.

When I left the store, I felt like I was high on heroin. The stress left my body completely. The misery of dealing with this saw with no help for 7 years was over. I can deal with the two trees I have to help move this week, and I can expect to have working saws from now on. I finally have a repair place.

This story shows how to sell saws, both for your own store and for the one your competitors run. The guys at the first saw did as much to sell me this saw as the guy who got the money. They tried, but I don't think they're all that good at sales.

I may be able to deduct this expense because I rent out my pasture. Sure hope so. I plan to start running every small engine I have, every Thursday, from now on. Once everything is working, I'm going to keep it going without a lot of down time.

That's the end of my tale of struggle and frustration.

Latest posts

Back