Ran the 592XP and 372XP All Week

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I spend all week in the mountains of Utah at 7,000 feet clearing land. 99% of the trees we cleared were conifers. Some were snags, but many on-the-ground trees. Someone had passed through before (US Forest Service?) and felled many trees, but left trees lying everywhere and annoying tall stumps. The property manager wanted the stumps flush-cut and downed trees removed. The 372XP ran a 24" bar and the 592XP ran a 32" bar. These 2 saws are wood-eating machines. The property manager had an older Stihl 440 Magnum and 20" bar, but that saw couldn't keep up with the Hooskys. We cut up a lot of wood and flush-cut an insane amount of stumps. I used the 592XP mostly for the big +36" stumps. Outstanding power. The Auto-Tune performed flawlessly and adjusted for the altitude with no issues. Seems like there is no end of power. On the 372XP, I adjusted the carby to lean-out a bit and it ran like a scolded dog at the high elevation. As much as it pains me to say this, If I ever had to choose only ONE saw, it would likely be the 372XP. Nice balance with a 24" bar. Reasonable fuel consumption. Oils well. Cuts just about anything I throw at it.

I'm tired. 7,000 feet of elevation kicked my butt.

JQ

I got a 394 and 298 for big saws to own a 592 would be very nice. At 63 I really do not want to work my job any more. You get to place you buy it you work more.

I completely understand. I'm 64 and my saws get heavier every year. I do love my 592XP as it is an absolute beast. When you need a big saw, there is nothing like the power of the 90+ CC powerheads. When cutting at the high elevations in Utah, a big saw is often needed to counter the horsepower drop due to altitude. Man and machine both suffer from the high mountains...

JQ

I am 63 years old and agree with your review. I use a 562xp, 372xp, 572xp and a 592xp here in Utah mostly above 7000 ft to get my firewood. As I am older I am only good for about 4 hours of actual cutting and the larger saws although heavier cut much faster so I can get done more quickly. I am very happy with the 592xp so far. I picked it up when they had their 20% off sale a while ago and it has been good in the limited time I have had it in the wood.

I cut mainly Douglas Fir and oak when I can get it. I agree that I did not really need a 592 but with the 20% sale I thought it would be nice to have to save me a little time on the bigger trees once I have them down on the ground. Basically, I needed an excuse to get a new saw.......:)

I cut mainly Douglas Fir and oak when I can get it. I agree that I did not really need a 592 but with the 20% sale I thought it would be nice to have to save me a little time on the bigger trees once I have them down on the ground. Basically, I needed an excuse to get a new saw.......:)
Oak changes things a bit. Especially if they are big ones.

At 7,000 feet elevation, horsepower loss is 20-25%. As such, a 592XP at 7,000 feet runs like a 372XP at sea level. My body runs at 75% horsepower also. Makes cutting at elevation more challenging than, say, Oregon or Washington.

JQ
I cut several times a year at 7-9000 feet. Mostly Douglas fir and Lodgepole. Being a flatland by birth I was amazed at how a 60cc saw with a 24-28" blows through it.

Back