Bow bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The gentleman I got the 090 from a couple weeks ago also gave me these two old bow bars. He says they go on a Homelite. I didn't know if they were worth anything and he didn't either, so he just gave them too me. I told him that if I found out they had any value that I'd let him know. They've just been setting in the garage until I took this pic today. The one looks to be missing a piece where it mounts, as well as the piece that sticks out at the end. That same piece on the other one looks to be home made. Why are these so skinny and long? Most that I've seen pics of were much taller. Any real value here?

853435194_H8REY-L.jpg

I'm not much of an expert on bow bars but those look like brush bars; work OK for clearing and small trees, especially in the days of 25# chain saws. I saw one on a 5-20 Homelite once that was probably 30" long, but only really used at the big end.

The other kind of bow had a larger loop, shorter, and was useful bucking pulp and small-medium trees in the logyard or on the landing, especially when it would be hard to get underneath or on the other side to avoid a pinch. Some had an almost flat face.

Both had the "hook" you see as an anti-kickback feature, Set the hook against the work and put the reaction force to work. I think they'd take a little learning curve, and have heard they're really dangerous if you aren't familiar with them.

Eyolf is spot on with his analysis. I use them often and they are a very useful tool if used correctly I have a like new brush bow with 1/2" chain and it will clear land. I think I gave $20.00 for mine off ebay about four years ago. Me personally, would only give around $5.00-$10.00 apiece for them not knowing the condition they are in. Bow bars are under harsher conditions than a normal bar and if not used correctly will go to crap quickly. I probably have around 30 abused bows around my house that were damaged by the lack of good lubrication. The bow that is open on the end should have a aluminum housing that bolted onto it for a gear drive saw.

Yeah, those are clearing guides Brad. The type of Bow guide you have seen most of is the pulpwood bow. The point of each one is the same though, to be able to cut without pinching the bar.

BTW, I have an NOS still in the box Stihl pulpwood bow to fit your 090...;)

Pulpwood bow:

<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=ed521c918f&photo_id=3963859519" height="540" width="720"></embed></object>

I would really like getting a bow for one of my saws but they are pricey. anybody got video of a brush clearing bow being used?

Yeah, those are clearing guides Brad. The type of Bow guide you have seen most of is the pulpwood bow. The point of each one is the same though, to be able to cut without pinching the bar.

BTW, I have an NOS still in the box Stihl pulpwood bow to fit your 090...;)

Pulpwood bow:

<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=ed521c918f&photo_id=3963859519" height="540" width="720"></embed></object>

Nice video :clap::clap:. First time I ever saw a bow in action. Not practical for me but I must assume the bars are very advantageous in the right scenerio.
:chainsawguy:

The lower one is missing the dog. You put that up against the little tree, pull trigger, tree goes down. On bigger (but still small) trees, same method but you run the saw one handed and push the tree with your left hand. I did not get the bowbar hung up nearly as much as I do a conventional saw. However, I did get a lot of trees hung up. I was brand new to working with a saw at that time. Then it was chunk em down time as seen on the timber falling training thread.

Now my curiousity has the best of me. What are the most common lengths for the various style bow bars? How many drive links would be required for a bar length mentioned previously? Do the bow bars accept chain guages .050 and .058 for the bars/chains? Does the chainbrake cover have to be chopped up to mount a bow bar or which saws accept bow bars without mods? Anyone!
:chainsawguy:

I think ours were at least 28 inches. I did not have to bend over at all so it was either that or 30. Our late1970s Macs had chainbrakes, which the guys took off to save weight. There were also some guards on the top and lower parts of the bar, which some of the guys also removed. We had to pack them in a ways sometimes.

The gentleman I got the 090 from a couple weeks ago also gave me these two old bow bars. He says they go on a Homelite. I didn't know if they were worth anything and he didn't either, so he just gave them too me. I told him that if I found out they had any value that I'd let him know. They've just been setting in the garage until I took this pic today. The one looks to be missing a piece where it mounts, as well as the piece that sticks out at the end. That same piece on the other one looks to be home made. Why are these so skinny and long? Most that I've seen pics of were much taller. Any real value here?

853435194_H8REY-L.jpg

Your one clearing bar is missing the adjuster clamp.
The other one would be worth more if it was cleaned up and
you mount the spike on it.
$40 to $50

barbow1.jpg

barbow3.jpg

I don't know much about other parts of the country but they tend not to get hung up in the sappy pines down here.

With a pine, they don't get caught by the bound up limbs when bucking -- I haven't had one in a lot of years but seeing these I wish I had one again.

Brad, you be careful with how you handle cutting with a bow saw, they can be pretty dangerous. There is a great best practice video about how to run a saw with a bow on youtube, but I just can't remember the link location;)

Latest posts

Back