Bow Saws / bow bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering what the consensus is on bow saws / bow bars.

I just watched a video of a bow saw in operation on Utube and found some dude selling bows on eBay... and I think that's what my back needs... I've seen pics of bow saws ever since way back when I was a little kid... but never seen one in action until that video yesterday. I really like felling and limbing trees out, but I dread bucking... just kills my back. I'd rather run the log splitter than buck logs. The bow saws look like they might be a viable solution for me. What's the general consensus on them? Most of the wood I cut is 25" or less, although I seem to get into way more 25"+ trees than I like to... hence the 372XP (got into a 42" pin oak to help out my sister-in-law's mother-in-law... still have some of that left to buck and haul out... in wheelbarrows).

What size bow would I need to handle 18-20" logs, and what size powerhead would be best to run that bow... LIke I said, not familiar with bows or their requirements... you just don't see them here in Southern Illinois.

Anyways, I just have to thank you guys for my CAD... I think I've got it bad, but it's still under control for the time being... although I keep looking at Craigslist and eBay daily now, as well as this site. I've been thinking hard about modding the muffler on my 55... somebody help me please...:)

I picked up a new Husky 372XP a few weeks ago, and then a few days later, found this website... which has been a Godsend for a guy who has been making do with just a single 18" Husky 55 for the past 8-10 years and cutting at least 6-8 cords a year with it. She's been a reliable saw, and still is... she's cut her fair share of wood, and a LOT of wood she was really too small to tackle probably! Got 'er done anyways. Now looking to add to my saw stable... just like guns, I'm starting to think you can't have too many saws :greenchainsaw:

I really enjoy using my bow saws. The 372 would be a excellent candidate for a bow. It should pull around a 18" bow well. Just make sure you understand how to use a bow before bucking with it. Always put the two dogs against the log first then start plunging the bow. Also make sure the oilier is turned up all the way. I posted some videos of my bow saws on there which were Poulans. I am not saying I am the best with a bow saw, but look at how I rotate the bow around larger logs and how the dogs catch the logs first then the bow follows. You are right. You can never have enough saws, dirt bikes, and guns.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DXWWr2EWKxM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DXWWr2EWKxM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Okay, cool looking saw but what is the point of a bow saw? Seems like kickback would be an issue.

Roger

20" wood is a bit much for a bow. They are designed to cut pulpwood, 16" or under. 372 w/bow would be good for 16" wood.

Okay, cool looking saw but what is the point of a bow saw? Seems like kickback would be an issue.
The point is that the log doesn't bind on the chain at the top of the bar.
Yes, they can be more dangerous than a conventional bar/chain.

Last edited:
The 372 will be a very good bow saw. Here is what you need to know
abot bow saws and how to use them.

bow1.jpg

bow2.jpg

bow3.jpg

bow4.jpg

bow5.jpg

bow6.jpg

bow7.jpg

bow9.jpg

Thanks guys! Mr BowSaw, that is an impressive collection you have there... And that's only HALF of it:jawdrop:??? Wow. How do you pick which one to use :dizzy:

How is the learning curve, if there is one, with the bows? How hard can they kick back? I'm a fairly stout guy, and I can handle anything my Husky's can dish out with their straight bars. Can you use the bottom of the bow also, as a regular straight bar, being mindful of that huge "nose"? I see that the Homelite manual posted by Mr. Bow Saw shows them being used in that fashion.

And, where can you find new ones? There is a gentleman selling them on eBay right now, but I can't find new ones anywhere else so far... I've looked on Bailey's, nothing so far, and stopped today at my dealer, who also couldn't find anything in his books.

Wow, excellent post Mr. BowSaw! I was given a Poulan 3400 CV with a bow bar by a neighbor and was really unfamiliar on how to use it safely and effectively. It needs a few parts, and from my research, it has the cc's to run such a setup fairly well. My line of work is Safety and Risk Management, so kudos on the safety aspect as well. Thanks, I needed that! Best, have a safe week. Max.

I have a couple of saws with different bow bars on them and occasionally use one.

The only problem that I have is none of them are long enough to actually be real comfortable during long duration use. They are all just the right length that I have to stoop over enough to be uncomfortable for long periods of use.

I guess that what I am saying is you might want to try one before spending the $200.00+/- that it will cost for a new bow and chains.

Here is a few Videos I made a year ago.

Stihl 028 Super

McCulloch 7-55

Mac 2-10 Super, Two start

Latest posts

Back