Burned out Central Boiler outdoor Wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kicohman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I had purchased a Central Boiler Wood Furnace in 2003 and it is burned out already. The company told me that I must of burned trash in it at one point and it started the corrosion process. I know other owners of Central Boilers and other brands of out door wood furnaces that have had units for over 10 years and they burn tires, telephone poles, and railroad ties (of which I didn't) and theirs are still in good shape. I suspect Central Boiler changed their metal supplier that year and have had to do a lot of warranty work, and they are hiding from something. Has anyone else had simular experiences?

I've got a Central Boiler 7260. I bought mine in 2003 but it was built in 2001. It started leaking this spring and it has been getting worse and worse to the point where I have to add water every couple of days. I called the company and I will be bringing it down to them in the next couple of weeks. Fortunately they are only about an hour and half from where I live. I've followed all their rules with sludge inhibitor and ph levels etc up until the leak started. We'll see how this warranty thing works out. To tell you the truth I'm not expecting much it seems like no matter what you do with warranty these days somehow the companies got it figured to operator abuse or they call it a regular wear item.

There was this guy at a HVAC Htg. show that I was talking to one day. They had this warranty that covered everything.
I asked how they could be so liberal yet make a profit or stay in business.
His response was that their furnaces always failed due to customer abuse.So they never covered any warranty.

Good luck!

Please post a name of at least the business if your going to state hearsay like this up as fact..."there was this guy" sure sounds like a guy who sells furnaces stirring up crap.....

There was this guy at a HVAC Htg. show that I was talking to one day. They had this warranty that covered everything.
I asked how they could be so liberal yet make a profit or stay in business.
His response was that their furnaces always failed due to customer abuse.So they never covered any warranty.

Good luck!

Mine is leaking somewhere on the face of the unit I am guessing just above the stove opening. The furnace is very low on water but is still leaking so I am thinking near the top of the door opening. When its operational I can see and hear the water evaporting as it heats the door opening flare.

warranty these days somehow the companies got it figured to operator abuse or they call it a regular wear item.

I got chewwed out one time when i worked at a chevy dealer for replacing a window switch that worked when it wanted to with the customer but worked fine for me on a 50k conversion van

Mine is leaking somewhere on the face of the unit I am guessing just above the stove opening. The furnace is very low on water but is still leaking so I am thinking near the top of the door opening. When its operational I can see and hear the water evaporting as it heats the door opening flare.

I do agree that it should be repaired under warranty, but it does sound as if you are fortunate to have a leak in an area that would be rather easy to access and repair. Best of luck.

Mine is leaking from the sidewalls, up about halfway up. The metal was reduced to less the 1/8" in 6 years. The most frustrating thing is that I had a friend that purchased the same Central Boiler unit on the same day (we bought them together) and his starting leaking in the same location and at almost the same time. The company in no way finds it odd. They actually accused of us of doctoring them to start leaking at the same time. I have been called a liar by on of the VPs of the company. Really unbelievable. So good luck curbside trying to get anything out of them. Good luck!!!

Not good

Dealing with them on warranty problems on my E2300 was frustrating.They couldn't have been more uncooperative.They tell you how it is and you're left to like it or not.The reaction chamber warped and the welds broke.They did get me a new part 6 months later ,announcing that from then on I was on my own claiming the reaction chamber was a customer replacement part.Horsesh-t!

Mine is leaking from the sidewalls, up about halfway up. The metal was reduced to less the 1/8" in 6 years. The most frustrating thing is that I had a friend that purchased the same Central Boiler unit on the same day (we bought them together) and his starting leaking in the same location and at almost the same time. The company in no way finds it odd. They actually accused of us of doctoring them to start leaking at the same time. I have been called a liar by on of the VPs of the company. Really unbelievable. So good luck curbside trying to get anything out of them. Good luck!!!

Was there not any discoloration of the water in the six years you operated it...? I assume your ph and nitrate levels were in spec...? Not meaning to question your experience, just interested in the preventing this in my own unit.

Please post a name of at least the business if your going to state hearsay like this up as fact..."there was this guy" sure sounds like a guy who sells furnaces stirring up crap.....

....not naming names and it's true about how some companies do not stand up for their customer when it's a defect in the product.
Look at how this thread has gone...already dissatified end users due to a lack of manfacturer responsibility.
Slick it is a fact and if your calling me a liar.....big balls buddy big balls....then again you can say just anything you want online without any responsibility.
You da mang!

Was there not any discoloration of the water in the six years you operated it...? I assume your ph and nitrate levels were in spec...? Not meaning to question your experience, just interested in the preventing this in my own unit.

Also, very important to get all of the ash out, it can be quite corrosive when it gets moist.

Everything burns out/leaks eventually.

"....then again you can say just anything you want online without any responsibility" that's exactly what you just did and you say I have big balls..what a joke....
Your not naming names but we're suppose to believe it's a fact because of what? Cause' you spam your furnaces here on a regular basis? I've frequented alot of furums for many years, I'm not a fan of spammers....spammers who talk smack on competitors are even worse....and I didn't call you a liar, I said back up your statement which you can't or won't so you can call it true if you want but don't think we believe you cause you heard it from "this guy"...what a joke

....not naming names and it's true about how some companies do not stand up for their customer when it's a defect in the product.
Look at how this thread has gone...already dissatified end users due to a lack of manfacturer responsibility.
Slick it is a fact and if your calling me a liar.....big balls buddy big balls....then again you can say just anything you want online without any responsibility.
You da mang!

My buddy has a stove made in the same year I think. His started leaking on the left hand side up by the louvers in the ceiling. He had a dealer come out and inspect and take pictures and send his recommendation in to CB. They are supposed to come and get it soon. I've heard the president is a real :deadhorse:, but if you stand up and tell him whats what you'll get taken care of.

From what I understand parts are covered, but you have to pay to ship it out to them and pay labor. May end up costing around a couple thousand. :dizzy:

Kyle

I changed the water every three years as recommended and did not notice the water being rust colored, except for right at first when I open the spigot. I do admit I did not check the ph and nitrate levels like I should, but the leaks started from the firebox and worked there way in. The dealer who tried to repair the leak at first gave me a cut out of the firebox and the water side looked almost perfect. The Company told me though that the water jacket was all pitted. Not sure, the cut out I had looked perfect on the water side.

Though I pray I don't have to do it, I do feel blessed to have the means and knowledge to weld up my own CB if the nee were to arise. I would have to think that proper ph and nitrate control would protect the unit for some time. Perhaps I am wrong.

Be sure to keep the water in check but the real problem was in the firebox. The sidewalls were reduced down to less the 1/8". It was almost impossible to weld. I had considered having my brother in law weld new sidewall plates to the top and bottom of the boiler but elected to send it to the company because I thought they would make it right. In retrospect I should have just kept it at home. I could of had it fixed up for less then $500, instead of the $1600 plus shipping. Oh well, I know what my recommendations will be if anyone ever asks me about outdoor boiler manufacturers.

My buddy has a stove made in the same year I think. His started leaking on the left hand side up by the louvers in the ceiling. He had a dealer come out and inspect and take pictures and send his recommendation in to CB. They are supposed to come and get it soon. I've heard the president is a real :deadhorse:, but if you stand up and tell him whats what you'll get taken care of.

From what I understand parts are covered, but you have to pay to ship it out to them and pay labor. May end up costing around a couple thousand. :dizzy:

Kyle

Of all the people I talked to, from CB,there was only one person that wasn't't a real jack***. That is what they are doing for me as well, covering parts and I pay labor and the shipping each direction. My complaint is still that I was not given the 100% product to begin with. I still say, based on the fact that two units put into service at the same time leaked at the same time, they used cheaper metal for a period of time and it is causing problems. I believe that when I get this back it will last of 20 years, and it is because they corrected the problem. I was just disappointed because I really felt I was buying the Cadillac of outdoor wood-burners, and I told anyone that asked that the should buy a CB. Maybe it is me ego that is hurt the most of all in this:).

Last edited:
Back