My Husky dealer is steering me away from a new 550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeguy347

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I ordered a 550xp a week ago and my dealer called Husqvarna today to check on its delivery stauts. He spoke at length with them about the Autotune problems. Husqvarna advised him to hold off ordering because of all the kinks they're still working out in the system. The takeaway from my 20 min conversation is don't buy the saw yet because neither of us wants to deal with the potential headache. I've been loyal to this saw shop for 10 years and every brand new saw has come from there, so needless to say, I trust them and they've never steered me wrong.

Now I know this "Autotune is newfangled crap" vs. "It's great, its just new" has been talked about a lot (believe it or not, this high tech redneck can use the search feature :) The thing that has me scared is even my dealer says be wary. What are your guys' thoughts?

Yes, they have the computer. Their personal experience is hit or miss. The AT saws that don't have problems are the best thing since sliced bread. The ones that have problems.... well, Husky hasn't been the best at supporting and takes a long time to get parts to them.

Last edited:
I don't suppose he's steering you away from the 550XP because they are backordered until the 4th of July, is he? (I checked today) :msp_wink:

I have yet to see one single problem with a 550. Amazing little saw.

I don't suppose he's steering you away from the 550XP because they are backordered until the 4th of July, is he? (I checked today) :msp_wink:

Hmmm....something dont smell right here. :bad_smelly: :poop:

..or that dealer just haven't cared to update himself and his shop for handling the newer AT saws. :givebeer:

Not to stir the pot, but I visited a friend collector/Husky dealer two weeks ago and he told me the same thing. He mentioned that he had several 550's come back already with autotune problems....and he had several new ones in stock.
He was all over the the 560XP though and let me run one, which gave me that same warm fuzzy Stihl 361 feeling.;)

Isn't there a fuel tank vent issue with a few 550s? A bad batch or something?

But it seems like the vast majority of 550xp owners really like them.

Last edited:
I ordered a 550xp a week ago and my dealer called Husqvarna today to check on its delivery stauts. He spoke at length with them about the Autotune problems. Husqvarna advised him to hold off ordering because of all the kinks they're still working out in the system. The takeaway from my 20 min conversation is don't buy the saw yet because neither of us wants to deal with the potential headache. I've been loyal to this saw shop for 10 years and every brand new saw has come from there, so needless to say, I trust them and they've never steered me wrong.

Now I know this "Autotune is newfangled crap" vs. "It's great, its just new" has been talked about a lot (believe it or not, this high tech redneck can use the search feature :) The thing that has me scared is even my dealer says be wary. What are your guys' thoughts?

If it is going to be your only saw then how inconvenient will it be to not have it while it is being serviced? They have not sold many ATs around here but they have sold enough for there to have been some issues. Some were supposedly quick fixes some not so much. Ask your dealer what his solution is if the saw fails, what has been his typical turn around in getting the AT equipment back to the owner.

In my opinion it sounds like he wants to sell you something he has or can actually get, before you change your mind, I would be weary or the dealership sales technique more than the actual saw.

Last edited:
Husqvarna advised him to hold off ordering because of all the kinks they're still working out in the system.

I'm sure every manufacturer advises their dealers not to sell their product. :rolleyes:

btw, I've got a low mileage Husky that was only used by a grandmother school teacher cutting cub scout wood on every 10th Sunday. She's a real beaut! Almost hate to insult the saw by putting a price on her. But I could be convinced to let her go as soon as the angels get through detailing her. Interested? :p

Not to stir the pot, but I visited a friend collector/Husky dealer two weeks ago and he told me the same thing. He mentioned that he had several 550's come back already with autotune problems....and he had several new ones in stock.
He was all over the the 560XP though and let me run one, which gave me that same warm fuzzy Stihl 361 feeling.;)

As I understand it, some early ones had carb issues - not Autotune issues....:givebeer:

I was looking at buying a 550, but The Bad reviews on Huskys website made me to Leary...I know some have them and there great, but some have them and hate them..
I'm not trying to start a fight with those who have one ..I'm just not willing to gamble and hope that i get one of the good ones.
Don't think it's an auto tune issue...
I think they make the 550s on Mondays and Fridays :hmm3grin2orange:

As I understand it, some early ones had carb issues - not Autotune issues....:givebeer:

Unlike the 562, the couple of issues with the 550 were addressed before we even got them over here in the US.

I don't like "aggravation" in the business, as many of you guys know. :msp_tongue: And if the new saws were going to be a source of it, I would shy away from selling them until the problems were sorted out. I loaded up on 346's and still have them in stock, so it's not like I have to push 550's. I have sold plenty of the new saws and issues have been minimal. I am just as comfortable selling them as the older saws. The 562 has a great reputation as the new saw a lot of guys just have to have. Not a bad rep as a saw to stay away from because it is beset with problems, which would certainly be the case if those problems were fairly common.

Every problem that ends up being discussed on these forums appears much more serious than it actually is in real life.

I did replace 3 coils this week. Not on the new models, but on a 346, 372 and 395. So, you are thinking, "hey, a couple of bad coils.", right? If one of them was on a new AT model, you might be thinking, "they got problems with this new AT stuff." Kind of a perception thing, but you probably get what I'm saying.

Find a new dealer.... I've run ten gallons of fuel thru mine, and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Bob you hit the nail on the head. Many who end up on forums like this one, are hear because they had a problem and were looking for advice. Because of this, it can seem like this or that is failing at a high rate, when in fact it's the complete opposite.

As of right now I can't recall hearing about a single AT failure, carbs and coils from what I hear and have seen, which is nothing new.

Sounds like my local Stihl dealer. When I asked the repair tech his opinion about the M-Tronic 441's a while back, he said to ask him the same question in 5 years. "Hasn't been out long enough." Hasn't stopped people from buying them, though; he said the 441 C-M's sell a lot faster than the 460's.

I'd still opt for the 550xp if the dealer 1. had the autotune diagnostic software and 2. put the saw through its paces to make sure it was in good working order before the sale.

To the op , I hate that your dealer is steering you away from a 550XP , because with a MM they flat rock , I don't know how much time I've got on mine but it's got some hours on it and I continue to be impressed , (For a 50cc saw) . I personally have only heard of a few issues , my issues were all about the controls , and getting used to them and how the saw wants to be started. Termite

I have not even seen the 550 in the area I live in. I haven't found but a couple of dealers that have sold any of the at saws, and none of them seem to have the diagnostic test equipment for them.

Hard to sell em if ya can't get em, eh? ;)

I'd buy a 550xp in a heart beat, but if a person is scared of the new stuff, just get a 346xp. Simple!

Back