My Husky dealer is steering me away from a new 550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure every manufacturer advises their dealers not to sell their product. :rolleyes:

btw, I've got a low mileage Husky that was only used by a grandmother school teacher cutting cub scout wood on every 10th Sunday. She's a real beaut! Almost hate to insult the saw by putting a price on her. But I could be convinced to let her go as soon as the angels get through detailing her. Interested? :p

They aren't advising to not sell it, just wait until the bugs are out. From what they're saying, you either get a great one and have no troubles or you get a PITA. I guess the bad ones are few and far between, but there's no lemon law :-D

They aren't advising to not sell it, just wait until the bugs are out. From what they're saying, you either get a great one and have no troubles or you get a PITA. I guess the bad ones are few and far between, but there's no lemon law :-D

If that were the case, Husqvarna would pull them from the market until the bugs were fixed.

This is just my experience. I work at a small hardware store and we sell a little bit of everything. Now when my customer asks me if something is junk, I'll tell them straight. I don't let the boss hear me, but I'm not going to lie for him to fool a customer.thats just me. As far as seeing husky or stihl or whatever do that is another story. I just can't see a big company like that advising against selling the saw, even if it is only till the bugs are worked out.

Loco

...when my customer asks me if something is junk, I'll tell them straight. I don't let the boss hear me, but I'm not going to lie for him to fool a customer...

Local dealer staffer steered me away from a wood splitter I was checking out because he didn't think the motor was in the same league as a Honda unit. I'm a loyal customer.

I did replace 3 coils this week. Not on the new models, but on a 346, 372 and 395. So, you are thinking, "hey, a couple of bad coils.", right? If one of them was on a new AT model, you might be thinking, "they got problems with this new AT stuff." Kind of a perception thing, but you probably get what I'm saying.

That is exactly how it is, no doubt about that! :agree2:

When I went to buy mine last year 2 dealers said about the same thing, new technology not proven, get a 346xp etc, but I wanted the new features especially autotune..

So I bought mine last year around October, I did have some cold start issues once in a while, so I called my dealer after hearing here about the venting issue. He asked for the serial number and informed me shortly thereafter that husky did recommend some changes for that production period, I believe he changed out the gas tank and coil?? but let me check the receipt to be sure - I assume the gas tank included the vent - coil was a surprise - I also asked if he had to change software - he informed me he did not. It took several weeks but since it was during March I did not care as we got a lot of snow and I didn't need it. I have used it several times since without any issues knock on wood. As far as the issues seen it occasionally seemed starved a bit for fuel when starting cold - and took a gentle throttle for quite some time.

I am not bashing it or singing praises just stating facts from a non professional user. I left happy with the dealer and Husky and it was no cost and only slight inconvenience of a few phone calls and dropping and picking it up at dealer.

I would still get Autotune or Mtronic over manual adjusted carbs, the efficiency, handling and power of the 550xp is great, however if my life depended on it I would probably grab my ms362 at this time..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back