Neilson Sharpener motor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddieraskel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can any one help? The motor on my Neilson 100B chain sharpener needs replacement or repair. The machine is from the mid 70's but in good condition. My local vendors kind of brush me off. Any ideas? Or, should just scrap it and buy a new one - and if so which brand should I consider?

I have one that needs a drive belt (looks like a rubber O ring). Would you know of a source for them ?

Nielsen has been out of business since the late '80's. They were made just down the road from me and their main factory outlet
when the company finished up was in Eugene, Or.

If you want to replace the motor, you're going to need the amperage and voltage ratings, the power output, and the length of the
main case screws. I went through the same thing replacing the motor on a very early Simington 450 chisel chain grinder. The motor
on mine had long since been discontinued and Simington no longer had contact information for the source of the original motors. So I
had to get the numbers off of it and go through an industrial electrical supply house. They found a NOS motor matching mine in a
warehouse in New Jersey.

Nielsen made some great machines and they're well worth fixing. My dad had one of their round grinders he'd bought new in '73.
We had a Nielsen "Pond & Deck" grinder at the last saw shop I worked at for doing the 3/4" pitch, .122" gauge harvester chain.

the motor is a 115 volt - the only marks on the motor are on the flat mounting area and apear to be a manf date of April '75 - the mount screws thread into the motor case only about 1/4" - I assume the factory outlet near you is long gone closed...

was your electric motor supply sourse a local for you or a nnational business and would you happen to remember the name or city it waas located? Thanks,

I bought one off craigslist sans motor. I am currently adapting another off the shelf motor to it...Bob

sewing machine belt suppliers and for the motor i'm babying mine but when it goes it will get something more sturdy on the base mounting design, the only thing i don't like about it is the motor mounting.

rebuild?

Can't you guys get this motor rebuilt? Your local electric motor shop should be able to get them back up and running for not a lot. Just a thought.

Can't you guys get this motor rebuilt? Your local electric motor shop should be able to get them back up and running for not a lot. Just a thought.

That's what I'd check into. I'd think any starter/alternator repair place could do it, and almost every town has one. Not much to go out on an electric motor, and rebuilders in my experience make them better than new because they use heavier parts.

Local Rebuilders

I used to sell tools for a big truck. When a customers air tool died, we (and I mean all three color big truck names) took them to our local air tool guy. He was great.

OK everyone... THANK YOU !

John Brooks Enterprises - Eugene, Oregon - has Neilson 100 B chain sharpener repair parts

New motor, new belt, new stones... This guy had everything I needed -very easy to talk to & fair prices

Thanks to all who replied,
without your help I would have bought a new unit. I still like my old Neilson.....

Ron....

Nelson sharpener

Any contact info for John Brooks. Tried an Internet search and came up with nothing related to chainsaw sharpeners.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back