Help to ID a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickelmore

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Checking to see if someone can help me ID this saw, and what it may be worth if it runs or as parts.

Just something I picked up at auction today, either I hit pay dirt, or a dirt pile.

Thanks

Auction price of saw

I gave 40 bucks for this one, a craftsman and a pulon.

And when I was walking out the owner told me he had a brand new bar in the basement I could have for free if i go back during the week and get it.

After looking at some of the prices parts saws are bringing, i figured I would gamble.

I figured it this way, the poulon is junk=$0, that leaves me the other 2 at 20 each. craftsman= if it runs I can give it to anyone who wants to borrow my 025.

attachment.php

It's a Craftsman made by Roper. Most, like yours, had the auto sharp disabled because they didn't work that well and required a special chain.

I worked on one for a friend and I can say that it was the smoothest saw to run and had incredible torque for 50cc. Craftsman still has parts available on-line and I downloaded the OP and M manual online. 3.7/18 is the model you have there. Notice the one in the picture has it's auto sharp still intact. JJuday

Last edited:
Thanks

I will tinker with it a little, the mechanic at the shop said it ran good, they closed down a few months ago, and this was on a job site, still has a little mix in it.

I tried the old pull it 3 times but it did not jump to life but seemed like it had good compression.

Thanks

Last edited:
These Roper-Craftsman saw are really pretty good old saws and cut well. Some of these saws carbs didn't have a high side adjustment on them which kind of sucks, but over all a well built saw that will get the job done

Thanks

I was sort of hoping to just turn this saw as is to help my stihl addiction, any idea what it may be worth on ebay as a parts saw.

I will do my diligence and check compression, pull the muffler etc and try to start it, but probably won't spend too much time on it.

Thanks

Last edited:
They don't bring much even in great shape as the Poulans are more sought after. The nice thing is that they are such a smooth saw and would make a great back up unit. Most of the parts are still available too.

If it looked like the one I posted the picture of I might give 100 bucks. So maybe 50-75 tops if it's a good runner. Just my 2 cents, JJuday.

thanks

Thats what I was looking for,

Guess I will drain the fluids and put it on the project list.

I think it will clean up pretty good, bar and chain look good. I am looking to offer a friend of mine a saw so he does not have to ask me to use mine.

I just started to search for manuals and parts source, please post or PM me if you have the links handy.

Thanks

Last edited:
As stated, it is a Roper built saw. I have 2 of them, I think the model number is 917.355771.

I worked on one for a friend and I can say that it was the smoothest saw to run and had incredible torque for 50cc.

At 3.7 cubic inches it would actually be a 60 cc saw.

Latest posts

Back