395 XP test. Muffler mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
395 XP test. Muffler mod. Thoughts??

Your thoughts and comments are welcome...

395 XP. pulled 175lbs of (cold)compression.

1st off,

sorry for the poor placement of the camera...it was starting to get dark, so wanted to get completed...:cry:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Was having an issue bucking the same wood on saturday...

as soon as i levered off the spike, it would bog. Maybe I was digging too deep, but suprising when your holding a motorcycle with a cutting chain. :biggrinbounce2:

so I decided to post a vid, and see what some thoughts are about it running (good or bad)...

20" bar

semi chisel, hand filed.

wood was freshly cut white oak. dropped sat.

about 20" x 24"

( i should have set the piece up a bit better to get to the other side...so ignore the video from :50 to 1:25 where I was fighting to get the cookie off:D lol) Yes, it bogged @ :30 & 1:19

object>

:newbie:yes, i usually wear PPE, i have a pair of chaps, gloves, glasses, and muffs. it was 90 deg. NOT normally a day of cuttting.... just a quick test run.

Last edited:
Sounds fine to me, maybe a little rich actually, when you bogged it, looks like you were a little heavy handed.

Cool...

Better rich, than, well... HAVING to replace the top end.

strangely, it's still within the stock limiters... even with the muffler opened up a bit ( drilled 7 3/16" holes in the venturi part of the outlet, and put the stock screen back on. Should be close to 85% of the exhaust outlet..

hmmmm....rrrr heavy handed...lol.

CUT!!! DAMN YOU!

It sounds pretty good. It might be bogging on chips in the cut and you might be pulling a little hard. It's not a gear drive mac.;)

It sounds pretty good. It might be bogging on chips in the cut and you might be pulling a little hard. It's not a gear drive mac.;)

LOL...true.

I just thought it would be damn near impossible to bog this beast with a 20" bar....:dizzy::dizzy:

Looks good. A ported 395 is a monster, just a little heavy. What mix and ratio are you running?

Just a muffler mod so far..and i would think, as to where the limiters are ( didn't remove the caps yet) it's a bit mild...

not too heavy for bucking...

made quick work of felling that tree...that's for sure :chainsaw: :D

Mix ratio?? we won't talk about mix ratio.
Yup, i did it, for the 1st time. pulled the fuel cap, almost empty. Grabbed the can right inside the door, filled fuel, then grabbed the tool, pulled the oil cap, yup, almost empty too. So i then grabbed the oil, and put it in the fuel tank :censored::censored::censored: Dumped as much as i could out, after sloshing it around... but i know there was still some left in there...

Usually about 40-50:1. 50:1 seems a bit thin looking to me, but i guess i'll get used to it.

J

LOL...true.

I just thought it would be damn near impossible to bog this beast with a 20" bar....:dizzy::dizzy:

Just a muffler mod so far..and i would think, as to where the limiters are ( didn't remove the caps yet) it's a bit mild...

not too heavy for bucking...

made quick work of felling that tree...that's for sure :chainsaw: :D

Mix ratio?? we won't talk about mix ratio.
Yup, i did it, for the 1st time. pulled the fuel cap, almost empty. Grabbed the can right inside the door, filled fuel, then grabbed the tool, pulled the oil cap, yup, almost empty too. So i then grabbed the oil, and put it in the fuel tank :censored::censored::censored: Dumped as much as i could out, after sloshing it around... but i know there was still some left in there...

Usually about 40-50:1. 50:1 seems a bit thin looking to me, but i guess i'll get used to it.

J

You can bog a 120cc saw if you pull on it hard enough. With the dogs in, that is.

J

Just wondering, it seemed to be smoking alot. Might be a blue tint to the picture also. I noticed a big difference in smoke when I switched from orange bottle Stihl to Stihl HP Ultra. I only run Ultra now...

Just wondering, it seemed to be smoking alot. Might be a blue tint to the picture also. I noticed a big difference in smoke when I switched from orange bottle Stihl to Stihl HP Ultra. I only run Ultra now...

Maybe the saw was a little cold. Mine smoke very little on the first rev up. I run Amsoil, and it doesn't smoke at all.

Brian,

re-read the reply to your original reply...

i had a bit of left over fuel-bar oil mix left in the tank...so it was a bit heavy upon 1st startup...

UGH..

to me, i might sound old school, but SMOKE = PROTECTION...

J

Brian,

re-read the reply to your original reply...

i had a bit of left over fuel-bar oil mix left in the tank...so it was a bit heavy upon 1st startup...

UGH..

to me, i might sound old school, but SMOKE = PROTECTION...

J

That's cool. A good 2 stroke synthetic oil at 50:1 will work fine, the oils of today are far better than the old school versions.

Latest posts

Back