395 XP test. Muffler mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will,

not 50:1? i use about a 40:1 also...

i mixed 50:1 and thought it was a little light looking...so *added* some more oil...

J

I ran 50:1 for years with no problems. I've just recently switched to 40:1 since more and more of my saws are ported, turn more rpm, so I figured what the heck!

I ran 50:1 for years with no problems. I've just recently switched to 40:1 since more and more of my saws are ported, turn more rpm, so I figured what the heck!

Not completely relevant but a Stihl dealer I was talking to in a forestry area said that the loggers using 30:1 in their 660's had far better engine wear and engine life than the guys using 50:1. Personally I use 45-50:1 full synthetic in all but my 3120 (30:1), even on my 390XP's.

Not completely relevant but a Stihl dealer I was talking to in a forestry area said that the loggers using 30:1 in their 660's had far better engine wear and engine life than the guys using 50:1. Personally I use 45-50:1 full synthetic in all but my 3120 (30:1), even on my 390XP's.

Interesting...

why 30:1 only in the 3120? or why 30:1 in the 3120??

J

Interesting...

why 30:1 only in the 3120? or why 30:1 in the 3120??

J

Warranty mate. In fact if something goes wrong with this saw and it hasn't got 25:1 in it Husqvarna Australia will void the warranty. Warranty runs out in Feb 2011 (2 years).
I know a lot of people run 50:1 in larger saws such as this with no problems but to be honest there must be a good reason for both Stihl with their 880 and Husky with their 3120 to recommend higher oil rates. They wouldn't be recommending 25:1 for fun and after all they build the saws.
I run 30:1 as at 25:1 there is a fair about of smoke and she chokes up a bit if not getting thrashed. No adjustable high jet on this model so can't change the tune to lean it out or richen it up.
Even my latest new (but modded) 390XP should be running the richer rate according to Husky but as this was a US purchased saw (and has been modified) their warranty is void in Australia anyway.
I'll continue running 30:1 in the 3120 regardless of warranty though.

Last edited:
Warranty mate. In fact if something goes wrong with this saw and it hasn't got 25:1 in it Husqvarna Australia will void the warranty. Warranty runs out in Feb 2011 (2 years).
I know a lot of people run 50:1 in larger saws such as this with no problems but to be honest there must be a good reason for both Stihl with their 880 and Husky with their 3120 to recommend higher oil rates. They wouldn't be recommending 25:1 for fun and after all they build the saws.
I run 30:1 as at 25:1 there is a fair about of smoke and she chokes up a bit if not getting thrashed. No adjustable high jet on this model so can't change the tune to lean it out or richen it up.
Even my latest new (but modded) 390XP should be running the richer rate according to Husky but as this was a US purchased saw (and has been modified) their warranty is void in Australia anyway.
I'll continue running 30:1 in the 3120 regardless of warranty though.

Matt,

I had no idea they required that in the 100+cc saws...

interesting, especially at the 25:1...and it makes me wonder, out of ALL the saws, why the king of the pro-series they would not give an adjustable carb to....when the consumer models do? :confused::confused:

i like higher oil rates...i've fixed too many saws with smoked top ends ( NEVER me...but i've seen them straight gassed, too lean on the high speed ( fixed a saw like that a kid wanted to trade the other day!! :eek: i started it up, and revved it, and it was running real fast, and lean... i could ONLY IMAGINE what it would have been like during firewood season!!! :jawdrop:)

so a few extra drops for insurance is cool..

Jay

Last edited:
Matt,

I had no idea they required that in the 100+cc saws...

interesting, especially at the 25:1...and it makes me wonder, out of ALL the saws, why the king of the pro-series they would not give an adjustable carb to....when the consumer models do? :confused::confused:

Jay

Husqvarna actually state 25:1 in all their saws above 90cc from memory. That may only just be Australia - unsure of US specs. The 3120's used to have adjustable high jets but mine is a late 2008 model and unfortunately has a fixed high jet. I believe this is now also the case with US delivered 3120's.
Luckily though we get the higher 12,500 limiter unlike you guys which I think is 9,800rpm or something like that. Absolute joke...
25:1 is also specified by Stihl for their 880, and probably their 660 as well.

Latest posts

Back