Maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewis16

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
sorry if there is already a post for this but im quite desperate

i recently came across a dolmar hobby 100, it has no starter rope but we did try to drill start it but with no avvail, if anyone knows how to fix it let me know, or better, if anyone knows where i can get a new starter rope that would be excellent. The saw itslef is in good shape, the oil pump works and i couldnt find a primer bulb.
I am new to arborist site and have little experience with chainsaws.
I have this little saw to manage my small number of trees and i love it, it is the perfect weight and size, please help,
regards lewis

Go to any hardware store or place where they sell lawn equipment and they will have pull cord. As far as the saw goes, it needs three things to run, fuel/air/spark. Make sure it's getting a spark, if so then, make sure it's getting fuel (should smell it if it's not firing) and check your air filter. After that if it's not running my guess is the carb needs tuned or rebuilt. Good luck.

Go to any hardware store or place where they sell lawn equipment and they will have pull cord. As far as the saw goes, it needs three things to run, fuel/air/spark. Make sure it's getting a spark, if so then, make sure it's getting fuel (should smell it if it's not firing) and check your air filter. After that if it's not running my guess is the carb needs tuned or rebuilt. Good luck.

You forgot a very important factor.......compression.

update, weve fitted a starter rope and can pull start now, but she wont fire, no spark, could be the magneto, ht lead but the spark plug is good, i tested it in my brushcutter and she fired right up, any further advice?

we took the plug out and put it in the cap and gave it a few pulls, no spark, then we put it near the metal of the ?colling fins?, no spark, and had it touching the metal cooling fins, same, no spark, we didnt finish having a look but we will continue tomorrow

It's sometimes very hard to see the spark especially if your not 100% sure it's grounded out good or if in daylight, even well shaded. If you have a multi meter take one lead to a good solid ground and then wedge the other lead between the rubber boot and the outside of the metal clip inside the boot so it stays put. When you crank you should see the volt meter jump. If it does nothing then you have to trace it back to the coil, on the other hand if it makes the slightest jump then more then likely the coil is working. Normally coils either work or don't. If the coil is not working see if there is any kind of adjustment to bring it in closer to the wheel, then check to see if any voltage is going to the plug. If not replace the coil. If the coil is working then you probably have carb issues. You can try taking the carb out, clean it real good with carb cleaner and try again. Good luck.

Mike Acres site says it has a point type ignition.More info here:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...28b7ef5fbfd23c1588256b6200565597?OpenDocument

You should check to be sure the kill switch is working properly.If it is, then you should pull the flywheel and clean and adjust the points.

Acres says it's actually a Poulan 20 so try posting your question in the Poulan thread.There are several guys watching that thread that can probably give you some specific advice on that model.

Last edited:
Back