020T Chain speed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what chainspeed, or what engine RPM, you could expect from a properly tuned 020T on full throttle? My owners manual gives 21 m/s or so, and quotes 14,000 rpm as the max engine speed. Isn't that speed the maximum to prevent damage rather than its normal operating speed at full throttle ?

The reason I ask is because someone I know cut himself badly with an 020T. He was wearing Class 1 trousers, which should protect completely at chain speeds of 20 m/s or less, but the saw cut right through them into his leg. We're trying to work out whether the chain speed of the saw is likely to be much more than 20 m/s, even at flat out, or whether there was a fault in the trousers.

Thanks for any help.

What chain was on the saw at the time? I'd bet the trousers were tested with 3/8 050 or .325 050. If the saw had pico or pico narrow that might have something to do with it, small cutters may not get clogged up with the fibres in the trousers. Same thing as small caliber high velocity bullets making their way through Kevlar vests. Wishing a speedy recovery to your friend, Paul

the purpose of leg protection is to reduce the damage done to the operator should the spinning chain come in contact with him or her. without seeing the trousers it is hard to say they did not work at all. better leg protection(UL approved) not only attempt to stall the chain by pulling fiber in the clutch assembly, but the outter layer is harder for the chain to get a bite. much like the rubber chainsaw boot, the saw will mostly bounce or slide off.
as far as smaller bullets being able to enter a vest, in 11 years as a police officer i have not heard of this. my vest will stop an assault from an ice pick. i did hear of an officer dying because the projectile hit the vest and followed the fabric untill it came to a seem and entered the chest there.
marty

believe it or not, vests are tested using canned hams instead of people. some vest companies will send you a sample of their product. i did test the swatch from ice pick to 12 gauge slug. a downward thrust in the ham with an ice pick did not go through the vest. a 12 gauge slug did not go through the vest either.
one fellow did shoot the vest while wearing it. he used phone books under the vest to lessen the shock.

Marty, I remember one round in particular, I think it was called X-ellerator by Remington. It was a 55 grain .22 caliber bullet in plastic sleeve in a 30-30 shell. It was banned for two reasons, it left no rifling markks on the bullet so it was nearly impossible to trace back to a specific gun, and it could penetrate kevlar vests, this was about 10 years ago or more and I'm sure bullet resistant vests are better now.

020T

Just a thought, who would make protective pants that would not work with any chainsaw? The 020T is not the absolutely fastest or most powerful saw out there. I vote for the pants.

paul,
the round you mention would access 1 or 2 layers and be trapped in the remaining layers.
the black talon was banned for a while but i think they are back in production. the projectile would break up into tiny little steel spikes.
rifling is only one of many signatures produced when a round is fired.
marty

Back