Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heat will be main issue, larger hose will help in that a bit but the constriction of 1/2" ports on the ram will be the main culprit. Speed- larger hose won't affect that again because of the ram ports. If the valve is all 1/2" also just money down drain with step up and step down adapters. Eons ago I rebuilt my splitter ( after bending mutiple areas including the 2" thick foot plate) my valve is 3/4" ports and hoses also but the ram ports are 1/2" my speed didn't change that i noticed but the unit runs much cooler. If my pump goes or the ram then I will jump to 16gpm ( 11 gpm now) and a ram with 3/4" ports. ( finding 3/4" ported ram is more dollars than the 1/2") Iirc the 16 gpm pump is still a 1/2 output port just at higher pressure.
I am happy with cutting my splitting time by more than half. I am not going to spend $100 in hoses chasing 2 seconds. The valve has 3/4" NPT in and out ports but the cylinder and valve work ports are 1/2" NPT. The real restriction are the 6 JIC -8 fittings at .39" inside diameter. -12 fittings would get 1/2" NPT up to .53" ID and 3/4" NPT up to .61" ID.

Attachments

• 2404.jpg
    2404.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 0
While there are industry standards for external thread and taper diamensions the internal diamensions vary greatly.
This pic shows the same size and style of fitting but different manufacturer.

Attachments

• hydraulic fitting 006 (Small).jpg
    hydraulic fitting 006 (Small).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
While there are industry standards for external thread and taper dimensions the internal dimensions vary greatly.
This pic shows the same size and style of fitting but different manufacturer.
I only use JIC 37°, military spec MS51500 hydraulic fittings on my race cars, tractor hydraulics and log splitter. I worked for a pipe fitting manufacturer for 8 years as a mechanical engineer. I specialized in fluid dynamics testing of US, Canuck naval ship set and nuke plant pipe fittings.

The US military does not allow dimensional variations.

I agree that non MS spec stuff is all over the place.

https://landandmaritimeapps.dla.mil/Downloads/MilSpec/Docs/MIL-DTL-18866/ms51500.pdf

048e29e44bb9077c0fcc8bbfde974797.jpg81B1j4uyJrL._SL1500_.jpg

Back