036 non-pro air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your saw an original 036 or a clone, as I don’t recall 036 coming without deco valves- it looks brand new for a saw discontinued for 20 years?
ms360 pro was equipped with a decomp valve---034,036 cylinders were not. There are a lot of 034/036 saws floating around with ms360 replacement cylinders on them.

There are three styles/types of filter in the old design for the 034/036. Wire mesh, flocked wire mesh and paper flocked. wire mesh and flocked wire are both discontinued but are washable, the flocked paper I find is not really washable because wood dust is thoroughly trapped into it so removal then tapping it seems to be the best method between replacements and this version requires regular replacement and is the most restrictive but the best at stopping fine particulates from dry wood and fire. I hate to push knock offs but the holtzhforma copy is both cheap and works well when replaced often. When it’s been dry I use the paper flocked, when cutting green wood I run the flocked mesh. I started looking for a mesh bag to fit over the 034/036 filter, ifsomeone finds model/version that fits it properly please drop the model in this discussion. I have one on my ms460 and it works super fantastic for stopping 95% of the wood dust and easily wipes off.
Not to be an outerwear’s fanboy but they sell those bags that fit over filters in all shapes and sizes and they’ll provide dimensions etc for you as well. In my experience they size them TIGHT and having a loose fitting filter bag is fine as long as it’s tight at the bottom so FWIW… maybe check them out. Their bags are not terribly expensive but cost a lot more than an 8 dollar paper filter… some of the bigger bags are ~$30 or more… tiny ones less expensive. But I use them and they do a great job of keeping the super fine particulates out and WATER out.

Frankly I only use the bags when racing motorcycles in the rain or cutting wood in a place where it’s filled with tons of dirt dust and super fine particulates. Like… my own property 🤣

Not to be an outerwear’s fanboy but they sell those bags that fit over filters in all shapes and sizes and they’ll provide dimensions etc for you as well. In my experience they size them TIGHT and having a loose fitting filter bag is fine as long as it’s tight at the bottom so FWIW… maybe check them out. Their bags are not terribly expensive but cost a lot more than an 8 dollar paper filter… some of the bigger bags are ~$30 or more… tiny ones less expensive. But I use them and they do a great job of keeping the super fine particulates out and WATER out.

Frankly I only use the bags when racing motorcycles in the rain or cutting wood in a place where it’s filled with tons of dirt dust and super fine particulates. Like… my own property 🤣
Thanks for the info on those filter covers, if I was cutting a bunch with this saw they might make a lot of sense. The reality is this saw does not get much use currently. I think I will get the original felt/fleece from my local dealer for sake of simplicity and keep the screen as a backup.

Thanks for the info on those filter covers, if I was cutting a bunch with this saw they might make a lot of sense. The reality is this saw does not get much use currently. I think I will get the original felt/fleece from my local dealer for sake of simplicity and keep the screen as a backup.
I think you’re thinking about it the right way 🤙🏽

Is your saw an original 036 or a clone, as I don’t recall 036 coming without deco valves- it looks brand new for a saw discontinued for 20 years?

The early 036 didn't have decomp or comp carbs, 036 started getting decomp valves and the compensating carb with matching filter/airbox, not sure when but the PRO models had both.
There are three styles/types of filter in the old design for the 034/036. Wire mesh, flocked wire mesh and paper flocked. wire mesh and flocked wire are both discontinued but are washable, the flocked paper I find is not really washable because wood dust is thoroughly trapped into it so removal then tapping it seems to be the best method between replacements and this version requires regular replacement and is the most restrictive but the best at stopping fine particulates from dry wood and fire. I hate to push knock offs but the holtzhforma copy is both cheap and works well when replaced often. When its been dry I use the paper flocked, when cutting green wood I run the flocked mesh. I started looking for a mesh bag to fit over the 034/036 filter, ifsomeone finds model/version that fits it properly please drop the model in this discussion. I have one on my ms460 and it works super fantastic for stopping 95% of the wood dust and easily wipes off.
Well I've learned something today about Stihl filters

When and what models did this happen? And/or when did Stihl start selling OEM flocked replacement filters with paper backing? All mine and replacement ones have the wire, maybe plastic on some? (I'll check), and not paper backed fleece.

The early 036 didn't have decomp or comp carbs, 036 started getting decomp valves and the compensating carb with matching filter/airbox, not sure when but the PRO models had both.

Well I've learned something today about Stihl filters

When and what models did this happen? And/or when did Stihl start selling OEM flocked replacement filters with paper backing? All mine and replacement ones have the wire, maybe plastic on some? (I'll check), and not paper backed fleece.
In the last 5 years I'd guess, they appear to be made using the same flocking as the 038/ms380 filters

That 036 filter appears to be the summer one.

The whole chainsaw super-fantastic-air-filter thing is designed to sell parts. The old mesh filters are fine, just don't run a winter one in dirty conditions.

I completely despise flocked filters.
I have mesh filters on both my 038 mags. Haven’t noticed any significant amount of fines getting past them. Same with the husky mesh filters. Like you said, easy to clean and last near forever.

In the last 5 years I'd guess, they appear to be made using the same flocking as the 038/ms380 filters
I’ve seen three different filters for the 038. Fleece, flocked, and wire mesh. Fleece was the grey “furry” type, flocked is the yellow coarse fiber, and wire mesh is pretty self explanatory.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what version of the 036 I have. The 2004 spare parts lists suggests there is a 036, 036 W, 036 WVH, 036 PRO, 036 Arctic, and a 036 BR. I think I have an 036 BR, I printed out the parts list and will try and track it down. Not so much about the filters at this point, just curiosity (and frustration that it was not obvious to me). The is no AV system, and not little window below the carb for some fuel mix compensation adjustment (the is important to air filter fitment). The carb /air filter cover is the old (I think) style with coarse wire mesh pre filter.

IMG_0352.jpeg

Most likely its a plane jane 036... their all AV or anti vibe due to the rubber bushings holding the handle to the crankcase some just have av on their name plate. The red lever is what throws me off, typically found on saws from the 90's but yours has the cylinder cover with black line and square air filter cover.

Most likely its a plane jane 036... their all AV or anti vibe due to the rubber bushings holding the handle to the crankcase some just have av on their name plate. The red lever is what throws me off, typically found on saws from the 90's but yours has the cylinder cover with black line and square air filter cover.
Could be just a plain 036, I got the saw around 10 years ago from my grandfather that passed. The history is unclear, I can't say it hasn't been repaired/rebuilt, but it seems unlikely. When I got it is seems clear it had been run with the chain brake on melting some of the plastic around the clutch and the chain looked like it had been cutting asphalt. I assumed my grandfather either did that himself, or picked it up a yard sale, he had a small yard and had no need for a saw like this. I did find a site explaining how to decode the the date stamps on the plastic parts and the plastic cover that would have a decomp valve if there was one shows a date of 1994, as well as the sticker on the chain brake handle, so it was made in 1994 or later. There is no plugged hole on the top half of the engine for a decomp valve.

IMG_0353.jpeg

Looks super clean for a ‘94 saw!
I think the wire filters are fine for those who know when to sharpen their chain, and do sharpen it. But average Joe doesn’t, so usually replace them with a paper or flocked filter when needed.
You may want to open carb up and remove the sealer around Welch plugs if it hasn’t already come loose from ethanol. Those carb are famous for that and cause running issues with sealer floating around needle area

All my Stihls are old and run the flocked filters.

They filter REALLY well but the Stihl airboxes lets a lot of stuff in so they need cleaning often. Keeping the airbox clean helps keep the filter clean too. Brush that out with an old toothbrush and blow out with air. I find starter fluid will wash out the stubborn oily caked on stuff that is left over. Getting the oil residue out keeps the dust from collecting and adhering.

Best way to clean the flocked filters is using your fingers with warm dish detergent solution, then thoroughly rinsing out all the soap The filters last a long time cleaned this way. They do need to dry.

You can dip the washed filter in grain alcohol/dry gas/rubbing alcohol and that will remove the water but you have to let that dry too, but it's much faster. Alcohol in the intake is not good for saw lubrication. Save the capped jar/alcohol for reuse in your shop. I think I'm using a glass wide mouth pickle jar that is big enough to fit the filters inside.

Having two fleeced filters is a good way to go. When one gets too dirty clean it and let dry, put the clean/dry one in it's place.

The 036 filters changed with the compensating carb introduction.
Shoulda bought up some "air injection" huskys...haha. No toothbrush required, although I've recently taken to using an old toothbrush to clean around the fuel/oil filler holes to keep junk out of the tanks. That way I don't get my finger dirty and I can still pick my nose.

Looks super clean for a ‘94 saw!
I think the wire filters are fine for those who know when to sharpen their chain, and do sharpen it. But average Joe doesn’t, so usually replace them with a paper or flocked filter when needed.
You may want to open carb up and remove the sealer around Welch plugs if it hasn’t already come loose from ethanol. Those carb are famous for that and cause running issues with sealer floating around needle area
I rebuilt the carb when I got the saw, but I don't remember if I replaced the Welch plug, I certainly would have cleaned things out with carb cleaner though.

Back