036 non-pro air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped by local Stihl dealer today and got a 1125 120 1615 B (1/2 that attaches to carb) and 1125 120 1620 B (1/2 that faces the user. The bags did not say B, but the numbers on the parts did. Based on imperfections in casting, they came out of the same mold as my mesh filter (I'm not a mold expert, but I can't see how that can't be the case). They were out of the T-nuts but I can use the one from the old filter.

IMG_0362.jpeg
Upper left is the "user" side of the mesh filter, lower left is the user side of the Stihl 1125 120 1620 B and the lower right is 1125 120 1615 B

IMG_0363.jpeg
Above is photo of light shining through the new filter (just one half) to give some idea of the porosity.

The real issue seems to be the mating surface between the carb and filter. I'll try and post pictures of that. Anyway, the two halves combined were 14$ at the dealer, and I got a scabbard for the 18" bar on the saw for $5.99.

Some not great, but higher magnification photos of the air filters.

Photo on 9-16-24 at 8.18 PM 2.jpg
Above is the "mesh" filter (Stihl 1125 120 1600), units on the rule are in MM.

Photo on 9-16-24 at 8.15 PM 2.jpg
Above is "new" filter Stihl 1125 120 1615 B (1/2 that attaches to carb) and 1125 120 1620 B (1/2 that faces the user.

Just to complete the thread, I wanted to post some photos of the issues with the mating surfaces between the carb and air filter. I think the mesh and fiber filter I got recently come from the same mold. My guess is the mold is either getting worn out or was modified to make the same filter fit on multiple saws. Both filters as new were not making a good seal with the carburetor, and at least on my 036 the circular cut outs to accommodate the nuts holding the carb to the saw overhang the sides of carb and the inner parts of those circles are not even with the main mating surface. Basically the filter casting does not allow the filter to seal with the carb tightly. I'm guessing this was not the case when the saws first came out.

Anyway, below are some photos of the issue, and how I tried to correct it. The photos are not great and without spending a whole lot of time it's hard to fully illustrate the issue. Also thanks for the help in this tread, @Mad Professor posted some useful links in this thread, and ones I later found in older ones. I ordered one of the knock off filters on Amazon (it sort of killed me), but I am curious to see if they fixed the casting issue or just recreated the same issue.

IMG_0369.jpeg
Photo above shows the mating surface on a 123 block held up to the sun.

IMG_0373.jpeg
Photo above shows the mating surface after some truing, not perfect, but much better.

IMG_0375.jpeg

Photo above shows what seems like should be a mating surface overhanging the carb.

Latest posts

Back