064 won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griggs55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up an 064 off marketplace that was in need of some tlc. Replaced the carb. Did a quick cleanup( gas tank, oil tank,etc..) . Had it running & cut a few cookies off a 30+" black walnut when it started getting really hot then shut down. When I tried re-cranking I wasn't getting any fire and the compression was intense ( to the point that I could barely get it pulled) .
So far all I've done is pull the spark plug to see if that relieves the compression, it does. Where do I go from here..

Was the compression still extreme after the saw cooled? Was the carb at standard settings or too lean? Personally I would remove the muffler and look through the exhaust port for scoring or ring damage and through the spark plug hole. Id also check for a spark with a new spark plug. Before spending any money on a saw, you should always pressure and vac test - this is not the same as a compression test.

Was the compression still extreme after the saw cooled? Was the carb at standard settings or too lean? Personally I would remove the muffler and look through the exhaust port for scoring or ring damage and through the spark plug hole. Id also check for a spark with a new spark plug. Before spending any money on a saw, you should always pressure and vac test - this is not the same as a compression test.
THIS!

Thanks for all the advice guys...

Was the compression still extreme after the saw cooled?
Yes..checked it a few days later & it was still hard as he'll to pull.
Was the carb at standard settings or too lean?
I don't believe so..I put on a new carb as the diaphragm in the old one looked wonky..And I set it according to the stihl manual.
I'll check the piston/rings & check for spark..As for checking comp before buying...well, seller claimed it had been running ( and it was when I got it) and I got it for $250 so I figured that was a decent deal for a project saw...

I don't believe so..I put on a new carb as the diaphragm in the old one looked wonky..And I set it according to the stihl manual.
I'll check the piston/rings & check for spark..As for checking comp before buying...well, seller claimed it had been running ( and it was when I got it) and I got it for $250 so I figured that was a decent deal for a project saw...
Did you replace your carb with an OEM or aftermarket one?
Did you properly tune the carb after setting it to the manual's baseline?

Please also vac and pressure test. This is not the same as (and I'd argue more important than) a compression test. For example poor compression can be fixed with a new cylinder, piston and rings, but if you have a major bearing seal leak, you have just wasted your money. P&V testing is the bedrock of diagnosing two stroke issues and saves a huge amount of guesswork. As a rule don't spend serious money before this is confirmed. A mityvac is worth the cost and once you have it you can find masses of uses for it.

Back