1120 Series Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Kessler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I haven't had a saw yet that I couldn't get to run...until I picked up a 010 for cheap recently. The guy said it needed a carb clean. The needle was not sealing against the seat. That was corrected and new fuel lines were added. The entire carb was refreshed and I ensure the gasket order. I pressure/vac tested the crankcase and found there to be a bad leak in the crank seal on the clutch side. That was replaced and it then held fine. It still would not fire.

In further troubleshooting, I found that the small impulse hole in the new carb gasket was not punched out. No go. These are known for having choke issues. Mine appeared fine but I put my thumb over the carb opening and still nothing. I had fuel on my thumb as well. I have fuel (can see it in the new lines and had on my thumb), spark, and compression. It's an old points model and they are clean and in good shape.

Initially, I did not realize that this series needs to have the throttle locked when starting. It doesn't matter. The crazy thing is, I have a 012 now doing the exact same thing. What am I missing?

Side note, I saw in a thread on another forum where a guy had a connecting rod bearing loader tool that goes into the cylinder from the intake to hold the roller bearings while you remove the cylinder. I can't find one anywhere. (I have used the heavy grease method; this would just be a lot easier.)

Back