12" Bar for a Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
I am looking for a 12" bar for a Stihl 026. It needs to 50 gauge, 3/8 pitch and use 44 drive links. As far as I know Stihl does not have this small of a bar for the medium bar mounts. I am wondering if there are any other manufactures that have them. I know I am in left field but while we are at it how about the same specs 12'' bar for my Husky 3120xp. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Bill

i think bill has figured a way to have the stoutest saw around, inch per inch.
just a guess but if u hang somethin with that big saw ,i believe u might get hurt.later now.

A guy with a mill and carbide might modify a 16 inch bar with a narrow butt like say an older McCulloch pattern to fit your Stihl, but of course the question is, Is it worth it?

Years ago I modified several bars to fit other patterns just to get rid of dead stock. I made several adaptors also; I wouldn't do it again.

Sedanman you ask why I would want to do this. Well I really do not see why I should use a larger bar than is needed. I use the 026 to cut brush and clear fencerows. I want it to have the most power possible. When cutting 8 inch trees why would you use a 18 inch bar. I have a large amount of 12 inch chains and I really do not see any reason to throw them away. Anyone who has cleared fencerows will tell you how easy it is to hit metal. When cutting brush it is essential that I have a flush cut on the ground. It is inevitable when doing either of the operations you are going to hit metal, debris, and of course dirt. I really would like to dull a 12 inch chain instead of a 18 inch chain. As for using a 12 inch bar on the 3120XP that was more of a joke than anything else. Of course it woulb be dangerous to run a light chain on the large of a saw. I have had broken chains and I know it is no fun. I have seen short bars on Stihl 084's. I also have a 084 as well as a 3120. It would be a neat conversation piece to have a short bar on one of them. Although I am joking about putting a 12 nch on the big saws I am dead serious about it on the 026.

Bill

Thats good Doug LMAO... :D

I think we should swap bars Doug... what you think- The bar in this pic is what you need on that 3120... of coarse chain on both sides as Rotax (RR) points out!

Jeff

I can see why you want a short bar. It makes for easyer control. I run 16" bar (.325 chain) on my 036 and 026 pro's. I started using this combination when I did right of way clearing. It was easy to see after a couple of weeks of cutting that the guys running the 026's with short bars did a lot more work.

As for a short bar for the 3120, I have a couple, 2 16" bars , 1 17" custum and a 24" bar. I usally run the 17" custom with a martin chain. But on the woods saw I just run a 16" for most of the work..:D But if I need to do more cut off work I'll through on the 24" bar.
But I will half to admit both saws are from KD's and I'm buying one for the wife as we speak.

Later,
Chris

I did not think I would have any luck finding a short bar for the 026. I have been considering getting a Echo 3400 which will run the 12"bar. I hate to give up on the 026 but I might. I am also concerned about how comfortable running a top handle saw would be. It would be great for one hand vertically but I spend the majority of the time cutting horizontal.

Bill

What about a clearing saw?
cartman.gif

fs550.gif

Last edited:
the 3450 is the same as the 3400 but with a rear handle setup.

Could you find a 12" bar and drill/cut out the slot so it fits over the bar studs on the 026? Might be a bit pricey, but cheaper than another saw.

Bill G.

I took a 24" bar from a craftsman saw, widened the bar groove and drilled a new hole for the oiler. Ran this bar on a Stihl 056, it worked well. I 'm fortunate to have a small hobbiest style machine shop in my workshop. I don't know what a machine shop would charge for this kind of work, but it can be done. Good luck, Rich.

I have though about modifying a bar. I have a lathe although that will not help. I also have access to a mill so it may be possible. As for the clearing saw I would LOVE to have one. The biggest drawback is obviously price The last I checked on a Husky 265 it was $970. I believe the Stihl FS550 is running about $1200. Another drawback is the blades, depending on whose blades you use the run up to $35. I do not know how long the hold an edge and how hard they are to sharpen. I would really like to hear from people who have run them. Talking to people who have run them is the best way of deciding whether to spend the money. I have considered starting a thread on the topic but it really does not fit in the chainsaw section. I always figured I would find one "slightly used" on ebay. I thought maybe someone would buy one new then find out how much work it was and decide to sell it. There was a Husky 265 a few months back but it was shown as a file photo and the reserve was not met at about $450. Last year there was a Stihl FS550 that I was outbid on.

Bill

Latest posts

Back