16" bar for a Stihl MS 194 T saw with an .043 gauge chain and 55 drive links

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calamari

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I ordered two chains from a good supplier who made a simple mistake and apparently made up two chains with .043 gauge instead of the .050 gauge my saw takes. I tried to send them back and even sent a check to cover their expenses for the two wrong chains. I want their company to continue as it is so I thought I'd carry the relatively small expense for the two chains. I also thought I'd just buy a cheap 16" bar that fits the saw with a .043 gauge and use up the chains. They never cashed my check or have responded to my emails about it leaving me in the position of paying $25 for a stop payment on the check. "No good deed goes unpunished," as they say.
I can't find a bar that fits both the chains and the saw that is .043 gauge. Does anyone have a site that carries this unicorn? I never understood why they make the small saws with both gauges anyway. Anybody know the advantage for a .043 gauge bar?

That is the 3005 series Stihl bars. Your 194 has a sprocket that fits both the 63 and 61 class of Stihl chain. Looking for a bar with both .043 and .050 etched into the side is really like looking for a unicorn. The Stihl bar is probably about $45 plus tax at dsrp. They are really good those 61 class Stihl bars. Compared to economy import and likely Oregon as well. Way less chips for the smaller chain. I would say the Oregon 91px is somewhere in the middle of those two Stihl chain types for chips produced to make a cut.

That is the 3005 series Stihl bars. Your 194 has a sprocket that fits both the 63 and 61 class of Stihl chain. Looking for a bar with both .043 and .050 etched into the side is really like looking for a unicorn. The Stihl bar is probably about $45 plus tax at dsrp. They are really good those 61 class Stihl bars. Compared to economy import and likely Oregon as well. Way less chips for the smaller chain. I would say the Oregon 91px is somewhere in the middle of those two Stihl chain types for chips produced to make a cut.
Thanks for the informative reply. I found an .043 +16" bar that was twice the cost of a .050 replacement bar. That seems nuts to me.
I wanted a cheap bar because I wouldn't use it beyond these two chains. It doesn't make sense to me to have two complete bars and chains that aren't interchangeable on a small saw like the 194 T.
I haven't noticed a chip problem with the .050 bar and chain. The primary issue with the saw is that the pulley on the start system is too small in diameter so that it doesn't have enough leverage to start it easily.
Thanks again.

Thanks for the informative reply. I found an .043 +16" bar that was twice the cost of a .050 replacement bar. That seems nuts to me.
I wanted a cheap bar because I wouldn't use it beyond these two chains. It doesn't make sense to me to have two complete bars and chains that aren't interchangeable on a small saw like the 194 T.
I haven't noticed a chip problem with the .050 bar and chain. The primary issue with the saw is that the pulley on the start system is too small in diameter so that it doesn't have enough leverage to start it easily.
Thanks again.
2 weeks ago I would have sent you one. They all went to NC, however…

Latest posts

Back