17 ton wood splitter??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I emailed them for a manual. It is not listed on their website

All I see in ad are 14 gpm and 208cc.

I was surprised not to find a manual.

I emailed them for a manual. It is not listed on their website

All I see in ad are 14 gpm and 208cc.

I was surprised not to find a manual.
Here is the thread that got me curious about the tonnage ratings.

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...rating-are-they-on-crack-or-just-lying.35588/

I recently installed a new 16 GPM pump on my ancient Simpsons Sears splitter. It has the pressure relief set at 2,250 PSI. The original Cross valve relief is set at 2,000 PSI. I stuck a gauge on the cylinder and it never goes above 2,000 PSI so the valve is controlling the pressure.

My dad stuck a 8 HP Briggs engine on this back in the 1970s. With the new pump this old 9-1/2 ton splitter outruns his new 26 ton splitter by at least a factor of 2.

2000.jpg

I would not be surprised companies mislead their stats. Dunno. But it splits wood

Years ago I bought a Northern Hydraulics (Tool?) wagon rated for 1,000 pounds. First time I put a 650 pound Chrysler 440 engine on it all 4 axles bent. I was able to repair it but I would say it is good for 300 Pounds.

Here is the thread that got me curious about the tonnage ratings.

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...rating-are-they-on-crack-or-just-lying.35588/

I recently installed a new 16 GPM pump on my ancient Simpsons Sears splitter. It has the pressure relief set at 2,250 PSI. The original Cross valve relief is set at 2,000 PSI. I stuck a gauge on the cylinder and it never goes above 2,000 PSI so the valve is controlling the pressure.

My dad stuck a 8 HP Briggs engine on this back in the 1970s. With the new pump this old 9-1/2 ton splitter outruns his new 26 ton splitter by at least a factor of 2.

View attachment 1209945
Actually it's not the valve that controls the pressure, it's the load. Small wood, easy push = low to medium pressure. Relief pressure is never reached until the ram is completely stalled. Gauge test the relief setting with the ram dead-headed on the back-stroke with at least 3/4 throttle. Or full throttle.
Eight horse power making 2000 psi at 16 gpm? I don't think so.
Mathematically it takes about 1 & 1/4 engine horse power per gpm to be able to achieve 2000 psi.
To make 2000 psi an 8hp engine should be paired to a 6.4 gpm pump. https://www.calcunation.com/calculator/hydraulic-horsepower.php

To make 2250 psi at 16 gpm requires 21 horse power.
Too big of a pump = lots of travel speed, but not enough force.
Too small of a pump = maximum force, but slow travel speed.
1728417422688.png

Actually it's not the valve that controls the pressure, it's the load. Small wood, easy push = low to medium pressure. Relief pressure is never reached until the ram is completely stalled. Gauge test the relief setting with the ram dead-headed on the back-stroke with at least 3/4 throttle. Or full throttle.
Eight horse power making 2000 psi at 16 gpm? I don't think so.
Mathematically it takes about 1 & 1/4 engine horse power per gpm to be able to achieve 2000 psi.
To make 2000 psi an 8hp engine should be paired to a 6.4 gpm pump. https://www.calcunation.com/calculator/hydraulic-horsepower.php

To make 2250 psi at 16 gpm requires 21 horse power.
Too big of a pump = lots of travel speed, but not enough force.
Too small of a pump = maximum force, but slow travel speed.
View attachment 1210044
I should have said relief pressure. The gauge goes up to 300 to 500 PSI when the ram hits the log then drops back down to zero for the rest of the stroke.

I bought a 2 stage pump:

First Stage: 13 GPM @ 650 PSI
Second Stage: 3.5 GPM @ 2500 PSI

It only ever hits 2,000 PSI when the ram stalls. That has not happened since I started splitting very straight Ash. It goes right through 32" diameter by 24" long Ash.

Thanks for the formula link!!!

Attachments

• EWQH0823.JPEG
    EWQH0823.JPEG
    4.6 MB
I bought a 2 stage pump:

First Stage: 13 GPM @ 650 PSI
Second Stage: 3.5 GPM @ 2500 PSI

It only ever hits 2,000 PSI when the ram stalls. That has not happened since I started splitting very straight Ash. It goes right through 32" diameter by 24" long Ash.

Thanks for the formula link!!!
Awesome! Two-stage is absolutely the best of both worlds !

Back