1999 chevy tahoe squeak/scrunch left front

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle1!

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My 200k 4x4 LT trim 350 chevy tahoe has developed this squeak/scrunch when you take off from a stop. You can be going straight or turning it does not matter. Changed differential fluid last week and it was mostly clear with no grit that I could feel. Front end is tight after pulling/prying on the various pieces. Runs down the road just fine but the squeak/scrunch makes me think something is about to grenade. Thanks for the help.

Tahoe is not all rusted out believe it or not. I put on a rebuild front end kit at the beginning of summer with new bushings so they are not old. That kit made no difference. I do have some suspension squeaking but I want to say this is rotational. I looked at the driver side drive axle yesterday and it has a layer of crud between the boots that you would have to remove with a putty knife. I can't see a split boot but will crawl under for a better look this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Grease on a boot is a good place to start looking. Also Jack up the front end and give the tire a good shake up and down/side to side to check for worn wheel bearing, ball joints, etc. May have to get a long bar or pipe for leverage.

All the front end stuff has been replaced..ball jts, wheel bearings, end links, tire rod, idler arm etc. It does need a new steering box. It will stick on left hand turns there. I will start with the drive axle.

Back