2002 Log Splitter with 8hp Tecumseh - no spark.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's 100f out today but I had to try it. First pull it fired. Ya know, this could've been a long time problem back to when this unit was new. Tomorrow in the cool i'll get the details sewn up and the governor adjusted. And split wood for this winter.

Some would shrug. For me this Tecumseh has been a royal PITB to cold start. I've pondered coming off the Kubota PTO to get rid of this engine. Seriously. Now it may be OK and I just have another power plant to service. But if it runs good, I'm good with that.

But back to the beginning, the Chinesium stuff, yeah I ended up with two magnetos. I hate buying Chinesium stuff. Amazon, eBay, whatever. TG It wasn't critical and needed right away. Frankly it's probably the same thing I would get OEM for $140+. Actually the Chineesium thing 'looks' better than the original magneto that I pulled.

This stuff makes me a bit angry.

It's 100f out today but I had to try it. First pull it fired. Ya know, this could've been a long time problem back to when this unit was new. Tomorrow in the cool i'll get the details sewn up and the governor adjusted. And split wood for this winter.

Some would shrug. For me this Tecumseh has been a royal PITB to cold start. I've pondered coming off the Kubota PTO to get rid of this engine. Seriously. Now it may be OK and I just have another power plant to service. But if it runs good, I'm good with that.
I've had several Tecumsehs over the years and they have all been good engines.
The big thing is to keep them maintained.
And keep the oil up to the full mark.
Any of them I've seen with thrown rods were low on oil or the oil was at the bottom of the safe range.
With that said, when it's worn out, a Predator 301 will bolt on easy. Mines been running great on my splitter for 5 years now.

The log splitter is running. Works great, actually better than for years, but something is wonky with the governor linkage. I'll look into that when I get home from the post office. Nothing in the linkage is binding but it seems to need a light spring to pull the throttle butterfly toward low speed. Fortunately none of my stuff needs big power.

I would test both Chisum mags.

For Tecumseh"s I usually order two at a time because my percentage is 50/50 on getting a good one and I try to pick a USA seller. Ordering from China even with tracking is, well you know now.
They usually last a long time when you get one that produces spark.
So do not be surprised if you do not see spark from one. Set the air gap at the magnet at .010-.012. Some plastic cards are too thick for the gap.

The log splitter is running. Works great, actually better than for years, but something is wonky with the governor linkage. I'll look into that when I get home from the post office. Nothing in the linkage is binding but it seems to need a light spring to pull the throttle butterfly toward low speed. Fortunately none of my stuff needs big power.

I would think about doing a static governor adjust. Lots of info on-line about such and easy to do.

I've had several Tecumsehs over the years and they have all been good engines.
The big thing is to keep them maintained.
And keep the oil up to the full mark.
Any of them I've seen with thrown rods were low on oil or the oil was at the bottom of the safe range.
With that said, when it's worn out, a Predator 301 will bolt on easy. Mines been running great on my splitter for 5 years now.
Had a Honda on my pressure washer that tossed a rod and the local shop denied warranty at 6 hours on it so I bought a Pred and it's been on it for 4 years now and uses no oil, starts up right away and even has the original 'Torch' plug in it. Slowly changing over to Preds as the engines puke and that includes Briggs and 'No start em' ones as well. Pred engines are all Lifan btw. Nice thing about Preds is, they will bolt right up as they have multiple threaded holes in the PTO side so they fit about anything.

Tecumseh's are noted oil burners, they have weak oil control rings.

But back to the beginning, the Chinesium stuff, yeah I ended up with two magnetos. I hate buying Chinesium stuff. Amazon, eBay, whatever. TG It wasn't critical and needed right away. Frankly it's probably the same thing I would get OEM for $140+. Actually the Chineesium thing 'looks' better than the original magneto that I pulled.

This stuff makes me a bit angry.
Don't make me 'angry' at all actually. it is what it is. Only thing I'd never buy that is Chinese is chainsaw carbs.

Had a Honda on my pressure washer that tossed a rod and the local shop denied warranty at 6 hours on it so I bought a Pred and it's been on it for 4 years now and uses no oil, starts up right away and even has the original 'Torch' plug in it. Slowly changing over to Preds as the engines puke and that includes Briggs and 'No start em' ones as well. Pred engines are all Lifan btw. Nice thing about Preds is, they will bolt right up as they have multiple threaded holes in the PTO side so they fit about anything.

Tecumseh's are noted oil burners, they have weak oil control rings.
Yep, when you price the cost of a new replacement Briggs, Honda, Kohler engine and then a Predator the Predator looks quite a bit better usually. Sometime back when China ships could not get into the Covid ports the HF Predators were not easy to find as available.

I also keep a eye open for Horizontal shaft pressure washer engines that the pump has failed and buy dirt cheap and then remove the engine, usually 5-6.5 hp.
When people price the cost of a replacement pressure washer pump they usually just go buy a new pressure washer.

When I purchased my pressure washer some years ago, I also bought a spare pump because in my experience, the pump usually goes before the engine but in my case it hasn't puked yet (pump) so I have a spare one on the shelf. The Pred I have still runs like a top after 5 years or so and I use mine a lot. Wash down cars, trucks and farm equipment all the time. Most pressure washer expire because people allow them to freeze and that destroys the ceramic pistons inside. Mine stays in a heated shop all winter. never freezes.

Keep in mind, crankshaft diameters. The larger motors will have a 3/4" or 1" diameter crank, the smaller ones will have have a 1/2" or 3/4" crank and the ID of the PW input shaft has to match the crank diameter.

I would think about doing a static governor adjust. Lots of info on-line about such and easy to do.
All is good. I knew I should've snapped a picture of the orientation of the throttle assy. There two ways to have a control rod positioned when putting the shroud back on, plus a torsion spring was disconnected. Duh. TG for the internet and another forum where someone did exactly what I did.

Latest posts

Back