2024 550xp mk2 bar oiler adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casttolast

Reaction score
I have read a few comments on this and have a feeling the current info has not been covered.
I have just bought my first husky having a few stihls already. I wanted to understand the bar oiler before I used it at all. Manual useless. Husqvarna tech support (not a dealer) got back to me saying:
Oiler only has 2 positions.
Max at 9 o'clock and min at 10.30/11.
This is a click adjustment not progressive.
This is based on my assumption that the new stock in Australia is actually the most current production?!
Does anyone else believe this info to be correct?

Technically there’s three positions. It is a click/detent style and can be somewhat difficult to adjust.
Thx. I'm aware that there are some people who have talked about the 3 positions on their models. How old is yours?
The Aus husq tech help said that the current ones definitely only have 2 positions.
My oiler does seem to match this.
There is a firm but moderate click between the 2 positions. Any extra pressure to find a 3rd position feels like you would be forcing it.
Does anyone else out there have a 2 position oiler on a very recently purchased 550xp?

Would be odd for Aussie market saws to have two positions and US to have three but stranger things have been known to happen. I have a 545 Mk II and it has three. Got several new 550’s at work they all have three positions as well. Essentially low, medium, and high. It does take a bit of force to switch into the “high” position I’ve noticed.

Would be odd for Aussie market saws to have two positions and US to have three but stranger things have been known to happen. I have a 545 Mk II and it has three. Got several new 550’s at work they all have three positions as well. Essentially low, medium, and high. It does take a bit of force to switch into the “high” position I’ve noticed.
Thx again. Don't worry, I'm skeptical about what husqvarna have told me as I find customer service will tell you whatever gets you out of their hair the quickest and easiest.
The 1st photo shows the screw turned as far anti clockwise as it will go. Max oil. The 2nd photo has the screw turned as far clockwise as it will go. Towards minimum oil symbol. Only approx 1/8th of a turn total range.
Sorry about the jpg photos.
So does anyone have an opinion on which direction the screw needs to be persuaded to travel further?

Attachments

• 20240623_140851.jpg
    14.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240623_140622.jpg
    13.7 MB · Views: 1
This is a 550 Mk II out on the shelf, I will point out it is 2023 production. Picture shows the oiler in max position. Maybe the 2024 production units are in fact different? I’ll check a few other 5 series saws on the shelf.
IMG_0469.jpeg

Thx for your help again.
I found a post from 10 years ago from someone with what must be a mk1.
He was having the same situation.
Then someone with a 562 replied saying his was stiff but ended up turning it further anti clockwise from 9 o'clock to a 3rd position at 7 o'clock. Your photo suggests that 7 o'clock position.
The manual for the mk1 mentions min (13-15" bar) med (16-18") and max (20") setting.
The mk2 manuals state med (15-18")
and Max (20-28"). No mention of min/low.
I'm just going to use it in both my 2 positions and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back