346XP air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earache

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
While performing routine maintenance on my saw after a side job, I pulled the air filter and noticed inside the filter where the air funnels into the carb, there was sawdust in there. Has anyone noticed this? Is it a faulty air filter, or maybe I need to install an o-ring at the filter, carb flange? Hate to install an o-ring, run it and it still not filter. I can't find any tears in the membrane. Only on my fourth tank of gas. Not even broken in yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Sedan....be nice!! :)

there is obviously a problem...that filtration system works very well...start at the air tube next to the flywheel...I have seen a couple of them vibrate and break right away...if that is in place and not broken hit the filter next...one of the seams may be split..in which case....send it back...Is the airbox itself filling with chips or just the "throat"??...what kind of wood are you cutting...cedar, dry fir and the likes are very nasty to filters...you may need to run a flocked filter...

Dennis, I was cutting all healthy birch, maple, and white pine. It is the airbox itself that has sawdust in it. One of the membranes at the seam must be torn, I will recheck. Thank you.

Any saw that has an elbow below the air filter will have a small amount of saw dust in this area. It is normal. You can't filter out all the small minute particles in the air. The only reason you see this on the Husky saws is that thay have the elbow. When the air goes through the air filter and makes the turn through the elbow the saw dust particles are heavier than the air and fall out of the air flow. Talk about the air induction if you like, it does work. The reason you don't see this on a Stihl saw, is because they mount their air filter directly to the back of the carb. and the saw dust particles get suck directly into the engine. They don't have an elbow for the particle to fall out in. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying Husky saw don't get small particles of saw dust in their engine just not as much as the Stihl saws.

I worked on an 044 Stihl the other day that had three filter on it. The main fliter the prefilter and a foam post filter inside the other two. The prefilter had let so much saw dust by that the main filter was completely stopped up flush with the prefilter and saw dust fell out when I took the prefilter off. If Stihl has such a good system why do they use three filters. :confused:

Later Butch

filter

I know just what you are talking about. In my experience, the prefilter must be installed with the ends (where the elastic is) down. The main filter is usually clean when installed this way. If installed on top, the filter will be plugged.
I don't think any one can build a good enough air filter and still have the saw run in the real world of no maintenance. I had no problem with the screen filters, if kept clean. I saw some so plugged they actually sucked the screen into the cylinder.
There is one cure, sharp chain. Big chips don't plug air filters.

hi I had the same problem with my 371 xp, i would always get dust in that elbow , gave me great concern

Then i switch to the "high boy" it filters finner particles dont know what the microns are but somebody will have that info.

The filter is a pretty penny but it seamed to solve the problem.

Do not know if they offer a finner Filter for the 346 xp, or if there is a after market one offerd.

Good luck

Lawrence M.

My 266 SE has always done the same thing. It's been almost 15 years and the cylinder walls are still fine. Never a rebuild. I'd like to find a replacement for the plastic mesh filter that came with it.

Keep posting, Doug!

I just get a silly grin on my face every time I see your avatar........
:p

Thanks for the info fellas. I am going to take it to the dealer for a warranty air filter, and see if the new one does the same thing.

Latest posts

Back