064 air filter part number confusion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a lot of second hand sites in Belgium and its neighbouring countries, some are more interesting than the others.

Here's an example for 'motorsäge' (chainsaws) on kleinanzeigen, a second hand site from 'the Stihl motherland' :D :

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-motorsäge/k0

Just to give you an idea, it's in € but afaik one euro still is roughly one dollar.

Apart from that, ebay/amazon are the same here, with local 'domains' (ebay.be, ebay.nl, ebay.de, amazon.be etc.), shipping cost estimates, etc.

Most of above mentioned sites have ads, also for new/aftermarket parts, etc. I guess the main purpose of the localized 'domains' is to serve more region-based ads, but who knows.

There's a lot of second hand sites in Belgium and its neighbouring countries, some are more interesting than the others.

Here's an example for 'motorsäge' (chainsaws) on kleinanzeigen, a second hand site from 'the Stihl motherland' :D :

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-motorsäge/k0

Just to give you an idea, it's in € but afaik one euro still is roughly one dollar.

Apart from that, ebay/amazon are the same here, with local 'domains' (ebay.be, ebay.nl, ebay.de, amazon.be etc.), shipping cost estimates, etc.

Most of above mentioned sites have ads, also for new/aftermarket parts, etc. I guess the main purpose of the localized 'domains' is to serve more region-based ads, but who knows.
That looks more like Facebook marketplace. Lots of complete saws but no parts. I guess you just have to search all the sites every now and then and hope to get lucky.

That looks more like Facebook marketplace. Lots of complete saws but no parts. I guess you just have to search all the sites every now and then and hope to get lucky.
You can search specifically for parts or donor saws, here's a search for 'stihl teile' (parts):
https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-stihl-teile/k0

Wondering if fines would have gotten into the cylinder, I pulled it off this morning. Turns out it's not a Stihl cylinder, but a Meteor, that clearly has been sanded before. Seller lied to me... :mad:
Top ring on the piston is stuck in one spot too.

Apart from that, there's no damage on the intake side or top of the piston, so I guess the air filtration still worked, that's the good news. And the diameter is 54mm indeed, so the bigger (066) bore.

Probably best to replace the piston.

You can search specifically for parts or donor saws, here's a search for 'stihl teile' (parts):
https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-stihl-teile/k0

Wondering if fines would have gotten into the cylinder, I pulled it off this morning. Turns out it's not a Stihl cylinder, but a Meteor, that clearly has been sanded before. Seller lied to me... :mad:
Top ring on the piston is stuck in one spot too.

Apart from that, there's no damage on the intake side or top of the piston, so I guess the air filtration still worked, that's the good news. And the diameter is 54mm indeed, so the bigger (066) bore.

Probably best to replace the piston.
A Frankinsaw :p

Piston definitely needs to be replaced, I'm ordering a Meteor right now.
Cylinder can be cleaned up, no deep scratches, just alu transfer, and combustion chamber is spotless.

There's scoring on the piston left and right of the exhaust port, so I couldn't see (most of) it when I removed the exhaust to check exactly for that.
I wonder what caused it, will definitely do a pressure/vac test (maybe better to do it first and order all required stuff together)

I took some pics of the piston.

Intake side doesn't look too bad:

20240724_184358.jpg

20240724_184232.jpg

Exhaust side, on the other hand... :

20240724_184253.jpg

Removing the scoring and carbon should be possible I guess, as well as cleaning up the groove for the upper piston ring (it was stuck at a specific spot, and not just a bit - I broke it when trying to remove it).
However, a new Meteor piston isn't that expensive (€32, plus shipping) at a French webshop I ordered from before, I'd rather do that, and keep the old one as a spare.

Removing the scoring and carbon should be possible I guess, as well as cleaning up the groove for the upper piston ring (it was stuck at a specific spot, and not just a bit - I broke it when trying to remove it).
However, a new Meteor piston isn't that expensive (€32, plus shipping) at a French webshop I ordered from before, I'd rather do that, and keep the old one as a spare.
for that price it is hardly worth the time it will take to clean up that piston. Clean up the used one as a spare, as you say, or sell it as is.

for that price it is hardly worth the time it will take to clean up that piston. Clean up the used one as a spare, as you say, or sell it as is.
A thin, flat jeweler’s file will, carefully, take that rounded edge off. Use a new ring to test fitment as you file. It doesn’t take more than a couple light strokes. I use a dental pic or sm, thin screwdriver to scrape out the ring grove. All of this takes time…too fast and you can damage it.

Latest posts

Back