372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoot501

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Husky's are very confusing to me, could someone please explain the difference between the 272, 371 and 372 husky. thanks

good, better, best?! LOL:D

the 371 had some oiler problems according to Dennis so the 372 must be perfect:cool: 71cc

The 272 was a great saw but could not meet EPA standards so it was redesigned into the 371
371 is a great saw, some have one piston ring and some have two, both work well. It was upgraded to the 372, all have two piston rings, and has a redesigned oiler as Otto mentioned.

All are good saws, only the 372 is avail now new

372 also has side chain adjust. Oiler problems were not really widespread from what I have seen although I did have a problem with one, plastic pump gear under the clutch. Easy to fix and cheap at about $5 for the part. Same saw also had one ring and had no issues with longevity, I believe it`s all in the design and build materials. This was a very early 371, in fact it was I believe only the 4th 371 to make it to this area from what I was told, subsequent models had the aforementioned "improvements". Russ

Ken knows the particulars right off the top of his head, but I think one difference between the 371 and the 372 is that the bore and stroke of the two saws is different. The 371 has a 2 mm larger bore and complimentary shorter stroke than the 372 so they both have the same approximate displacement.

If that is the case, will the long stroke crank from a 372 fit a 272 (or my Jonsey 670...:blob2: )? I'm thinkin' that would be the way to go...plus maybe a full-house race-tuned 272 barrel.

Then, switch rewind covers with the 625, and go looking for a Stihl...

Off the top of my head I do not believe the bore and stroke to be different on any of the 371/372 or 2071/2171 saws...as I interchange pistons on them all...and I am pretty sure the crank part numbers are the same...

The chain oiler problems were quite serious up here...I think we replaced about 50 of them...the problem was a-the clutch drum and b-the clutch drum....lol...they made these two slots in the clutch drum for more effective cooling...but that allowed dirt into th clutch which built up around the oiler gear...then the clutch drum had a little "tit" on it which drove the oiler gear, and what would happen in colder weather..this would swing around and break the ends off the oiler gear itself....

The 372's/2171's also went to a stronger gas tank..

Dennis, in all honesty do you see alot of differance between 044 and 372, stock vs. stock in cutting speed when both are using 20-24'' bars and round ground:confused:

this 372 is the husky ill eventually get .
it weighs same as their 62 cc saw,
according to the pamplets i have.
this one sounds like a work horse,a bigger saw that these old bones can still tote.

More info on clutch drum and oiler drive problems

I can add a little someting here...
The original 371 had two tangs off the lip of the drum to engage the oiler... the 372 changed and went to a pair of slots in the clutch drum.

Husqvarna was having problems with the tabs cutting through the pump drive wings. What happens is that the drum has a chance to accelerate almost half a revolution before it hit the pump drive wing. This acceleration allows the tab to hit the pump drive wing too hard, slowly cutting through the wing over time.

The 503 93 24-71 has a longer cup with notches to capture the pump drive wings. It is a direct replacement for the 503 79 55-01.

The Oregon replacement drum followed the conversion. Oregon's P/N-106593X
is identical to the Husqvarna P/N-503 93 24-71.

Regards,
Jeff

diff 372 to 371

don't forget that the 372xp has the side tentioner and also the semi transparent fuel tank (which I think was more a marketing gimmick than anything to compete with Stihl)- I can barely see any fuel though it...

Harry

Back