8 tooth sprocket for 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
what do ya'll think of the idea of running an eight tooth sprocket vs. the 7 tooth one that the ms460 comes with??? i run a 28'' bar w/full comp, do you think it will increase cutting speed w/out losing too much power??

I have tried an 8 on a 32" with an 066 in some 30" maple and found it to be ok ish.

For milling bigger stuff 24"+ I have wondered about droping to a 7, I'm not sure but for about 7 bucks cdn I'ts worth a try. On the other hand I wonder about a 9 tooth for 20" or less bars on soft wood. Unfortunatly it is the ninth tooth that gets pricy, the first eight are under a buck a tooth and after eight each tooths about 15 bucks.

Timberwolf

cool, i cut a lot of hard woods, mainly oak so i want more speed:rolleyes:

Ryan,

An 8 tooth should be ok on a 28 inch bar 046. But for hardwoods, you need more torque, and you lose that with the 8 tooth. I run 8 tooth on 24 inch bar 044's or 372, maybe 28 inch, especially with my modified saws....but I'm mostly cutting softwood.

Thats all i've ever used is the 8 tooth, where it helps me is in the big limbs, the 7 moves in slow motion the 8 bites em off, but i do go thru more clutch springs and clutches.

I run an 8 tooth with a 32 inch bar .404 chain on my 066 in mostly hardwoods and it cuts incredible. I have never run the 046 mag but have two 044's that run 7 tooth rims and cut just fine. I would save your $8 and buy a case of beer for Fish. Just a thought.

GeorgeW

Back