After market bearings for Makita/Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the bearings seem easy enough to find, the seals are the problem. What do I search for in trying to locate the seals? I’ll get the exact size when I’m back home, for now can someone show me similar seals for sale?

Makita / Dolmar have done the dirty on us, they are stopping production of
gas powered saws, and as we can already see parts are difficult to get.
I would call it quits with the 4300 /420 saws, fix it up and what happens
the next time a part is required, no thanks.

Makita / Dolmar have done the dirty on us, they are stopping production of
gas powered saws, and as we can already see parts are difficult to get.
I would call it quits with the 4300 /420 saws, fix it up and what happens
the next time a part is required, no thanks.
Once Sachs Dolmar was bought up by Makita the parts availability went down the drain and now that Makita has announced they will be stopping making gasoline powered saws the parts are drying up fast. I have squirreled away enough SD parts to keep my own saws running for my lifetime, I never bought into the line since Makita took over.

Once Sachs Dolmar was bought up by Makita the parts availability went down the drain and now that Makita has announced they will be stopping making gasoline powered saws the parts are drying up fast. I have squirreled away enough SD parts to keep my own saws running for my lifetime, I never bought into the line since Makita took over.
I had a look and can't find the crank bearings for the 420 either, plenty of parts for other models
of Makita and Dolmar, even the older ones.
There should be a law against selling a product and not supporting it, Makita is a big company
and they have no excuse for not keeping up their end of the deal, ie, make parts for what they sell.

Maybe my saws will become valuable as parts become scarce and I can sell them and buy a Stihl!
I can get parts for almost all other Dolmar or Makita saws, they are impossible to get for the 420 / 4300
and probably the same for the other smaller models, people only buy items that parts are available for,
that's why so many buy old saw that parts are still available for are sought after, not ones that parts have dried up for,
bearings and seals are necessary to keep a 420 / 4300 running, no bearings no use for saw.

I’m pretty sure the saw is still for sale. I wonder if the frequently replaces parts will be available for awhile versus bearings and seals. I’ve been told I would have been better off to replace the saw than tear it down, Makita probably agrees.

Why wouldn’t the company making the seals and bearings continue to do so independent of Makita, or did Makita actually produce these parts themselves?
Also, if I ever find the right combination of bearings and seals the fact that Makita doesn’t supply them any longer won’t matter?

Why wouldn’t the company making the seals and bearings continue to do so independent of Makita, or did Makita actually produce these parts themselves?
Also, if I ever find the right combination of bearings and seals the fact that Makita doesn’t supply them any longer won’t matter?

Makita would have licensed a bearing manufacturer to make those bearings and seals just for them. That is what the term, propriety , means. No other law abiding bearing manufacturer will make or sell them but the Chinese has gotten around that licensing contract, they litterally don`t care as its very unlikely that the manufacturers will never chase a case against them into China. When I first tried getting propitiatory bearings through my suppliers/bearing houses they explained this to me, they could not lawfully buy or sell them to the public.

I’m pretty sure the saw is still for sale. I wonder if the frequently replaces parts will be available for awhile versus bearings and seals. I’ve been told I would have been better off to replace the saw than tear it down, Makita probably agrees.
They are a good saw, its just annoying how makita do not stock the parts now.
Some people do think of a 400 dollar saw as a throw away product, not me.
I every one who has a modern saw that Makita won't supply parts for asked Makita
for a refund, I wonder would Makita throw their dollars at us.

The parts situation sucked well before that.

If you find them please let us all know.
As regard the company making the seals continuing to make them, Makita likely have a clause
preventing this, and at any rate if Makita no longer need the bearings then there is very little economic
incentive to make them for the spare parts market alone.

Back