anybody still sell bow bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The safety issue is with the users more than the saws. I recently purchased this bow saw on ebay. With the guards in place, most on the chain is covered, other than what is pointing away from you. Once it's in the wood, it's impossible for it to kick back unless it could rip the bottom shoe up through the cut. This picture is the first time I used it. As you can see, it's not just for little wood, it works fine up to about 14 or 15 inches. Not only is there no bending over, but there is also no pinching, no cutting part way through and then either rolling the log or wedging the cut above the saw. The bar cuts all the way through, every time. I've also noticed it's less likely to cut into the ground, so the chain stays sharp longer. With a regular bar, how often do you try to roll a log with you foot while the saw is running. Also, with a regular bar, it's still very possible for the saw to kick back out of the cut. I did notice it was a pain installing the bar and chain with the guards in place. It's no big deal, but it takes a couple extra minutes making sure the chain is in place and tensioned correctly. Maybe this why the guards disappear on so many.
View attachment 411131
15" is little wood lol. i have about the same bar, mounted to a husky.

I agree that the Bailey's helper isn't the same as a bow... looks like it encourages more of a bend and scoop motion whereas the bow is just a lean-on-down
Also, the bow is probably lighter than a steel bar with helper attached. Also looks like the helper is only good up to about 8-10" wood. But the helper would save you from cutting into the dirt, which is one thing you can't really avoid unless you either are propping up all your wood, or have a bowsaw.

A bow saw will still hit dirt if the log is on the ground.

Philbert
Very true but with a bow it is easier to "feel" the bar as it clears the wood and you can pull back. Bucking up a log with an oversized bar its a lot easier to get the nose in the dirt without realizing it. Probably have to cut wood with a bow to realize the advantage.

I love the Stihl bowbar I got from a member on here. Also have a clearing bar with the smaller end radius that works good on a 50cc saw on stuff up to 6"...like box elder and elm on fenceline jobs.

Hell that old homelite will pull that bow " burried" cut one side got to the other runs .404 on it. It is easy to keep out of the dirt.

BLASTER1 WE HAVE ONE THAT WE ARE POSTING ON EBAY FOR SALE IN FREDERICKSBURG VIRGINIA IF YOU ARE STILL LOOKING FOR ONE ITS BRAND NEW WITH A BRAND NEW CHAIN ACTUAL HUSQVARNA BRAND

Latest posts

Back