Are Stihl Flippy Caps Supposed to Squeak and Leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HansFranz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Because the flippy cap on my Stihl MS361 just started squeaking and leaking. I blew off both sides of the cap with compressed air, and the rubber o-ring is unbroken and seems fine, but still she leaks! It kinda almost feels like it got degreased with some hardcore solvent somewhere along the way but to my knowledge that has never happened, and it's never even seen gasohol.

Is there any way to fix it (assuming it's not supposed to leak when you turn it with its left side downward)? Or do I just need to buy a new flippy cap?

Thanks for any clues.

Bloody stupid idea, those caps. An answer to a question nobody asked. Ridiculous over-thinking of a cap. Anyway, those caps were 13.00 in Canada about 10 years ago when I bought one.

:blob2:

Sorry, I don't have any clues.

uh of course they aren't supposed to leak...

I'd check to see if the o-ring at the top of the flippy cap is still there... or if its it the process of breaking...

If that's the problem... replace o-ring. O-rings are inexpensive and if you buy a giant bag of them they're pennies each...

if you try to by one or two people charge a lot of money for the trouble of sending you a couple o-rings

maybe see if your dealer or local small engine repair place can give you a couple new o-rings for a few bucks.

Re the squeaking... there is so much oil on the oil cap idk how you could get it to squeak... unless you'd soaked it in degreaser and had no oil in the tank...

but if its not the o-rings i've heard people needing to replace those flippy caps after *years* but i've always done just fine throwing new o-rings on there.

good luck!

Because the flippy cap on my Stihl MS361 just started squeaking and leaking. I blew off both sides of the cap with compressed air, and the rubber o-ring is unbroken and seems fine, but still she leaks! It kinda almost feels like it got degreased with some hardcore solvent somewhere along the way but to my knowledge that has never happened, and it's never even seen gasohol.

Is there any way to fix it (assuming it's not supposed to leak when you turn it with its left side downward)? Or do I just need to buy a new flippy cap?

Thanks for any clues.

Have not had trouble with these and the price is right ($1.82/each + shipping) even with the postage added, if you buy few of them!

Fuel Cap - "Flippy"

Cap.jpg

I have not encountered the problems others have using flippy caps, they came on my first MS 440 and I now have 4 of those, a MS360,361 ,362, 460X2 and several MS260`s. I liked the flippy caps as they were easier to take off and replace in the winter months when wearing gloves, I do most of my saw cutting during the late fall and through the winter months.

I have not encountered the problems others have using flippy caps, they came on my first MS 440 and I now have 4 of those, a MS360,361 ,362, 460X2 and several MS260`s. I liked the flippy caps as they were easier to take off and replace in the winter months when wearing gloves, I do most of my saw cutting during the late fall and through the winter months.
There are guys that can eff up a crow bar.
Flippy caps have always worked for me without issue.

Latest posts

Back