Ash Tree Need to be Removed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philn

Reaction score
Does this tree need to come down? There is no sign of Emerald Ash Borer disease as fall as I can tell.
Other than the bark peeling the tree is healthy looking with a normal canopy.

It has been this way for at least 5 years or longer.

If the tree were to fall it would probably hit my garage or house since it has a serious lean that way .

I don’t want to have it taken down unless necessary since licensed and bonded tree removal services are difficult to come by in my small northern Minnesota town.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Ash Tree 1.jpg
    Ash Tree 1.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Ash Tree 2.jpg
    Ash Tree 2.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Ash Tree 3.jpg
    Ash Tree 3.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 0
We don't require bonds for tree service here. I never really understood why a tree service needs a bond. Insured, absolutely yes. Local business license, if required, yes. Professional license, if required by state or local, yes; if not required, then there is no license to obtain.

Yes, it needs to come down. Agree it was probably lightning strike and wound that size will not recover. Looks like a fairly simple drop and chop that any decent tree service could do.

I'd take it down. If you can get a rope up high should not be too hard to drop it away from the house. Is there another tree you could use as an anchor to help direct the fall? But get someone who knows how to do it.

Better to do it sooner than later, when the wood at the base is still solid and you can get a good hinge.

If EAB shows up the other leaner will become a problem too. Might want to drop both now.

My vote is for removal as well and keep in mind that eventually, every ash in North America will be devastated by the Emerald Ash Borer, only a matter of time. I lost 3 of them myself even though I religiously treated them with the Bayer solution. It slowed down the Borer but eventually they succumbed. All because someone imported the borer from a foreign country's untreated shipping pallets.

Definitely drop it, sooner than later. Cornell tells me if EAB is within 10 miles of my location, then I can assume I have it too ( I own 25 acres, probably 75+% ash).
Cornell also advises it is possible, but not likely, EAB may avoid a tree or two. For some reason, EAB skips less than 3" diameter trees, but at this point, it's unsure if they will return for round two.
As others stated, it's integrity has diminished. Better be safe than..........

Back