Atop sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn

ArboristSite Operative
Pretty cool... Dude! But 6-10hrs!! Phew!! That takes some patience! Soo.. As far as the rakers on this chain go, do you shape the outside of them too? I did that on one chain but in a way that there was no consistency in how much was filed off from link to link. I took it into work the next day & the thing sucked! It would buck great, but trying to block down or take a large pick with the crane it kept jamming up as if I was getting it pinched even though it wasn't. Needless to say I haven't tried that sharpening technique again. What do you think happened?? Too much random bite?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
Yep a lot of time with files and stuff in them. It's worth it if you like to race. I just barely touch the outside of them. It may not have been clearing the chips good.

*ryan

*ryan

ArboristSite Member
well ill be the ginney pig if a few people paypal me $10 haha

not really sure i want to shell out 200$ if its not gonna work as i want it too
but id shell out 100$ and give feedback to you all

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
It works pretty good. I never got to try it. Baileys sent out a demo to a few people and they were supposed to pass it around but it got lost or something and didn't finish going around.

w8ye

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a Atop guide and Valorbe files. It all works as advertised. I made a couple chains with it and then got a Silvey square grinder. I prefer the grinder

w8ye

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ahhhhh those guys!! I googled imaged "Oregon file guide" before I posted that post to see if there was a guide from them I did not know about, thinking back to last night I think I recall seeing a setup that looked unconventional, like maybe it was holding one of those square bevel files. It might of been a thread, you should google that phrase above & scroll through the Images, maybe you'll come across it.

I've never really liked those types of rigs, either I'm too dumb, don't have the patience, or have had a real crappy quality one. I always end up tossing them aside and doing it by hand. However, If those rigs are capable of doing square ground, I wonder how that 6 sided chisel bit file would work with them? It's less bulky & would leave more room to manipulate... Just thinking out loud here but, I doubt one would want to try and convert round to square using the jig, as the strokes can get pretty jumpy & need a lot of pressure.

I'm surprised no-one else has joined in the convo here & spoke about the ATOP, I always hear everyone ranting and raving about square ground. I figure there's gotta be more than a few ppl out there with the it seeing as how hard filing square can be to get right. Plus.. ATOP's marketing video is awesome...haaaa!

Looking back over the summer, I really spent ALOT of time, effort & $$ trying to learn the technique after work hours. I think I'm just gunna buy one once the extra funds start rolling back in come spring.

Hey W8ye, do you know if there is a sticky thread specific to race chain? All I ever find are dead end threads when looking. They seem to be scattered everywhere too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/making-a-race-chain-for-gtgs-help-appreciated.206899/

hillwilliam

hillwilliam

ArboristSite Operative
About 30 years ago, I had a Granberg filing jig made for double-bevel chisel files. As I recall, it had plenty of adjustment to set it up just how you want it. Seemed to do the job, but it was a slow way to do it and maybe just a little sloppy. I gave it away to another timber faller whom I was teaching to chisel file. Might be worth it to some people to try to find one.

And mdavlee's chain above looks way fast!

Latest posts