Attack of the giant saw teeth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
No, I'm not making more spikes...

Just saw a thing on chain sharpening on "This Old House." What got me was that the saw expert had a single full-chisel cutting link that was about a foot long. Looked like a salesman's sample on a little wooden base. Any idea what company made these demo items?

I missed that one, but I'm sure it would have been Craftsman stuff.

I always get a grin when they come on there and say something like; "Now we gotta watch the purse strings here, we got a relatively tight $400,000. budget to get this project completed".

The saw they used looked like a Husky from a few years ago. Maybe mid '80s.

Did you see the Manchester, MA house they did a while ago? Talk about big budgets.

Originally posted by Tony Snyder
I missed that one, but I'm sure it would have been Craftsman stuff.

I always get a grin when they come on there and say something like; "Now we gotta watch the purse strings here, we got a relatively tight $400,000. budget to get this project completed".
Geeeeeeeeeeez, I could build TWO houses for that much money, and have enough left over for a workshop! I quit watching those shows years ago because they weren't much help for a low budget do-it-yourselfer, only made me feel discouraged and inadequate. :(

Where else would we get to see the stuff they put in those places, or learn how good we really have it when somebody else's local ordinances absolutely require the remodeling work to match the character of the rest of an historic neighborhood, and hire licensed, union contractors?

I saw that tonight, in btw watching Penn State run up and down the field. That was a pretty big cutter, prolly came off the chain Gypo run's on the 400 hp 088KD.:D

The sharpening segment was sort of a waste of time gloss over other than suggesting that you get the jig if you don't know what you're doing.

The budget's have gotten a little silly, but it does give you a chance to see a lot of new techniques and technology without spending your own bucks to see them in action.

This old house has gotten a little nuts. I remember them fixing up these realistic houses on realistic budgets back in the Bob Villa days when the show first started. Now the shows are based on 750K remodeling jobs. I'd rather watch Norm whip together a roll top desk in a half hour on Yankee Workshop anyway.

Of course, you remember how NYW started, right? It was to show how regular homeowners could do all sorts of neat projects with a few power tools. Nahm started out with a benchtop drill press and (I think) a cheap Craftsman table saw. Now he's just showing off. How many garage workshops have multi-thousand $$, half-ton stationary belt sanders? And all those god-awful brad nailers...

This Old house classics show the older ones where they're working on blue collar houses, HGTV at 7PM:D

I saw one of those big teeth on Ebay a couple years ago don't remember what it went for.

Now he's just showing off. How many garage workshops have multi-thousand $$, half-ton stationary belt sanders? And all those god-awful brad nailers...

Had a friend of mine go to a home-remodeling show where Norm was a guest speaker. Norm said he gets so much stuff donated just in the hope that the supplier will see it on the show. He said he has so many cordless drills he doesn't have to change bits in them anymore!

STihl made a run of the "giant cutters" back in the mid 90s. They were black plastic and the part of an actual cutter that is chrome plated was painted silver. They were made in semi and full chised and meant to be used as a training tool to teach people how to sharpen.

I used them many times, but no longer have them.

Oregon makes a giant cutter like that for demos. Rip Tompkins had one this week in Richmond.

I`m a little surprised to see that more of you guys haven`t seen those big teeth made by Oregon and Stihl, not that my surprise means anything, I`ve been surprised by less. The Oregon version has been around for quite a few years and it`s possible that the Stihl has been around longer. I remember seeing a Stihl version in a little shop where it looked like it had been sitting for about 20 years, and this was about 10 years ago. Must be all the shop owners took them home for the kids instead of leaving them on display at the shop, LOL. Russ

Latest posts

Back