Bad bearing on Stihl 461 Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the flywheel off tonight, it was super stuck on, the video make it look easy. I’ll try removing the clutch tomorrow but it also seemed stuck, the nut is super low profile so easy for you wrench to slip off.

I ordered a vacuum and pressure pump off Amazon to try an air test with soapy water, coming Monday. See anything out of the ordinary ?

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpeg
    IMG_0758.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I got the flywheel off tonight, it was super stuck on, the video make it look easy. I’ll try removing the clutch tomorrow but it also seemed stuck, the nut is super low profile so easy for you wrench to slip off.

I ordered a vacuum and pressure pump off Amazon to try an air test with soapy water, coming Monday. See anything out of the ordinary ?
Remember that clutch side is reverse threads.

I got the clutch off, I’ll do the air leak test when the pump comes. The flywheel side look clean, the clutch side looks ugly. Is that normal? I wiggled the shaft and I didn’t see any side to side movement or okay in the bearing.

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0776.jpeg
    IMG_0776.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I received my hand pump pressure/vacuum pump from Amazon. What is the best way to hook it up to my saw to pump pressure into the cylinder? I have rubber seals cut from a sheet of thin rubber and bolted in place in front of the muffler and carb area. Components bolted back on. I have the impulse line left hanging and the spark plug in place. I can either put an adapter into the impulse line or make an adapter for the spark plug hole. I’m not sure what the impulse line is and if that’s useful here. I’ve read it links the carb and the fuel tank? So likely nothing to do with the cylinder area. Do they make or sell spark plug air hole adapters?

I received my hand pump pressure/vacuum pump from Amazon. What is the best way to hook it up to my saw to pump pressure into the cylinder? I have rubber seals cut from a sheet of thin rubber and bolted in place in front of the muffler and carb area. Components bolted back on. I have the impulse line left hanging and the spark plug in place. I can either put an adapter into the impulse line or make an adapter for the spark plug hole. I’m not sure what the impulse line is and if that’s useful here. I’ve read it links the carb and the fuel tank? So likely nothing to do with the cylinder area. Do they make or sell spark plug air hole adapters?

You can put the adapter into the impulse line. It is connected to the crankcase and is used to drive the fuel pump in the carburetor.
Yes, they sell spark plug air hole adapters.
E.g. Husqvarna: P/N 503 84 40-02 for M14x1.25 and 503 84 40-03 for M10x1.

I had to go buy bicycle tube, I did the test, hold pressure and no soapy leaks at the seals, cylinder area, spark plug, decompression, hoses etc.
I’m thinking about sticking in the after market Hiway piston and cylinder kit and trying it out. Here are pictures of the stock that’s apparently scored.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.jpeg
    IMG_0968.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0969.jpeg
    IMG_0969.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0971.jpeg
    IMG_0971.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0970.jpeg
    IMG_0970.jpeg