Bar and Chain for Stihl 032

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwoller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Any sugestions on a good bar and chain for the Stihl 032av? This would be for cutting hardwood nothing too big. Thanks.

I run a 20" bar on mine with 3/8 pitch chain, an 18" would probably be better choice.

Ed

3623-005-0072 20" 3/8" .050
3003-000-8822 or 3003 000 8921 20" Bar

3623-005-0072 20" 3/8" .050
3003-000-8822 or 3003 000 8921 20" Bar

Just out of curiousity, why the 20 inch bar? I was thinking it would cut pretty fast with a 18 inch, does it handle the 20 well?

I was curious about that as well, for my 031AV. The 16" bar that's on it seems so short and would prefer a 20", but only if it will pull it OK....Could always run a skip chain I guess.
Would it be better to run a shorter bar and a normal chain or a larger bar and the skip chain?

I've owned several 031's and 032's. They are lower RPM high torque saws. Never had an issue with a 20" bar/chain.

With that said, if you don't feel you need to 20" a 16" or 18" would be fine.

Would it be better to run a shorter bar and a normal chain or a larger bar and the skip chain?

Depends on what you are cutting. If typical is 12" material and once in awhile you have 20" stuff...I'd go with a 16". On the other hand if you are trying to make do with that saw and cutting 25-40" dia. firewood, I'd go with say a 25" bar/chain in skip tooth.

You could sorta do the same thing by dropping to .325 chain as well.

As stated its an old design saw.They seem to have alot of torque. They arent fast cutters but they get the job done. Just because its 20" doesnt mean your going to cut 20" wood. I wouldnt bother with skip chain.I had one with a 20 and liked it for cutting firewood. Maybe 18" would be OK for what you want.Maybe someone you know has a 3003 mount bar you can try. :cheers:

If your 032 is strong and in good shape, it will pull a 20" with 3/8ths 050 as well as it will pull a 16" or 18".

That's what I run on both of mine.

Saves 2-4 inches of stooping over too!

I have had an 032av for 25 yrs & all I cut with it are Eucalyptus trees (I live in a dry Eucalyptus forest & the wood is VERY hard). Recently went to a 20" bar but it struggled a bit so went back to an 18" bar.
Finally decided to go up a bit in size & purchased a MS390 (I know now you guys are going to tell me I should have got a 361 but I didn't know about this site then). Anyway the the 390 works great for me & I still use the 032 as a spare & for friends to use when they come over if they feel like helping me get some firewood.

I have had an 032av for 25 yrs & all I cut with it are Eucalyptus trees (I live in a dry Eucalyptus forest & the wood is VERY hard). Recently went to a 20" bar but it struggled a bit so went back to an 18" bar.
Finally decided to go up a bit in size & purchased a MS390 (I know now you guys are going to tell me I should have got a 361 but I didn't know about this site then). Anyway the the 390 works great for me & I still use the 032 as a spare & for friends to use when they come over if they feel like helping me get some firewood.

So it bogged down on the 20 inch bar ?I think I will run a 18 inch bar and buy a ms361 for the big stuff.

So it bogged down on the 20 inch bar ?I think I will run a 18 inch bar and buy a ms361 for the big stuff.

Not a bad idea. If you have a lot of big stuff and care much to make efficient use of your time you may want to go bigger.
Baileys had a good deal on the big bore Makita. Don't know if its still goin. I like the handling of the big stihls better but if your paying for a new 1 I like the Makita-Dolmar option better.

Not a bad idea. If you have a lot of big stuff and care much to make efficient use of your time you may want to go bigger.
Baileys had a good deal on the big bore Makita. Don't know if its still goin. I like the handling of the big stihls better but if your paying for a new 1 I like the Makita-Dolmar option better.

Ok lets assume that I will only buy stihl....what is a good saw to go with the 032?

Yeah the 032 bogged down with the 20" bar Only left it on for a short time because of this.
Now I run the 032 with the 18" bar & the 390 with a 20"bar. They both cut great with this setup.
I use a small MS 180 with a 14" bar for trimming the branches off the trees I fell. I taught my daughter to use the MS180 to help me & its nice & light for her to use.

What do you think about the 032 in 18 inch and the MS361 pulling the 20 inch?

Yeah the 032 bogged down with the 20" bar Only left it on for a short time because of this.
Now I run the 032 with the 18" bar & the 390 with a 20"bar. They both cut great with this setup.
I use a small MS 180 with a 14" bar for trimming the branches off the trees I fell. I taught my daughter to use the MS180 to help me & its nice & light for her to use.

I guess it depends on what size trees your cutting up?
I fell & cut up hardwood Eucalyptus up to 32" in diameter with both the
032 (18"bar) & 390 (20") bar. Both saws work great with this setup but I guess if your trees were bigger in girth you could pull a slightly longer bar with the MS361. Maybe someone else can advise what size bar would be good on the 361 as I am not sure what the maximum bar is that it would handle.

Ok lets assume that I will only buy stihl....what is a good saw to go with the 032?

Around here what I usually cut a 460 would probably fill the ticket best for a 2 saw plan with an 032. I use an 044 the most and when I go to big wood I like to use my 660 the most. When I'm doing average and smaller wood my 044 does the most and I usally have an 034 or 026 for rotation in smaller stuff. I really like an 034 for power. With a 20" bar it feels close to the 044. The air filter capacity on the 044 holds up quite a bit better on the o44 though. If you don't mind used saws and the extra effort finding parts for an older saw on occaison I like most the old Stihls for bigger stuff from an 042 to an 056 mag.
Thats doing primarily firewood which I sell and use, both.

Back