Bar and Chain Oil MSFIZ.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C Dixon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've used every oil for B&C Oil avabile in the GA.& NC. area from used motor oil to 30w non detergent. To Poulan, Power Care, Pro-select, Itasca, Sthil Platinum and Sthil Woodcutters. I recently bought a Stihl MS 250 but as pickey as Warranty Departments are I thought it was best to use Sthil Oil. I also did this with My Poulan Pro 330 & Poulan Pro 3516AVX when they were new by useing the Poulan oil . I did not use the used motor oil in any of these saws. Only in a Mculloch 142. And it died form case metal fatigue. I've been reading these post and decided to do a common sense blind taste test. Took a sample of each of these oils and put them on white foam plates and rated them. After they reached room temp and stabilized. Clarity goes to Stihl Woodcutters reminded me of there winter oil. This oil packaged by omni. Tackiness goes to Itasca by Warren Oil. in the summer it slings with strings. I have to thin it with 30W in winter . Good oil but leaves a gunky build up . Clean bar groove regularly. Clarity dark. Poulan , Power Care , Pro-select , and Stihl Platinum are by omni . All the above are equal in clarity with a spot beam shining through a white foam plate. Poulan , Power Care and Pro select were equally tackey. And this surprised me Stihl Platinum was not. But it does not leave a gunky build up as bad as the others. So you can run longer. Take your finger on these samples and count strings and how long they last. This is how I did this test. By the way My Poulan Pro 330 is still running the original 22" bar . On the brands mentioned above along with 30W oil. Bought it in 2001. It has cut a 1\4 of a National forest of hardwood for fire wood since then. Hope my new MS250 does the same . It replaced a 1984 Partner 400 that is loosing compression.

Latest posts

Back