Bar nose rollers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kebo57

Retired Engineer MOD, BAE, Paper Mill.
Reaction score
My 41” new’ish Stihl bar has flared apart at the nose with the chain jamming and opened up the bearing thus I’ve lost 90% of the
3mm dia x 1.42mm long rollers does anyone know if you can these rollers in the uk
See pic
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_6574.jpeg
    IMG_6574.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6575.jpeg
    IMG_6575.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
No, they’re not sold separately.

You’ll need a new bar tip kit w/ rivets, make sure you have the exact stamped bar number handy when you call the Stihl dealer for the kit part number.

You can also use these guys, L&S Engineers Ltd, Coppice Side, West Coppice Road, Walsall, WS8 7EX, United Kingdom

No, they’re not sold separately.

You’ll need a new bar tip kit w/ rivets, make sure you have the exact stamped bar number handy when you call the Stihl dealer for the kit part number.

You can also use these guys, L&S Engineers Ltd, Coppice Side, West Coppice Road, Walsall, WS8 7EX, United Kingdom
Thanks for you reply.. I use L&S quit a lot they sell the bar tip £65
These tips are very difficult to get apart the rivets are hardened I used about 6 x 3 flute solid carbide drills to drill all the rivets out on milling machine will probably have to turn new rivets up to suite.. thought about making it in to a solid nose 😂

I'm just replacing some tips. Yes it pays to look after them. Keep your oiler set at max and check/clean the pump mechanism occasionally. 'Prime' bars with a syringe of chain oil when disassembled. Use correct chain tension (too tight will cause excess heat, too loose will allow chips in). Keep the bar clear of chips. Use decent oil - I have found it its too thick it clogs up the oil pump mechanism and doesn't reach the tip.

I'm just replacing some tips. Yes it pays to look after them. Keep your oiler set at max and check/clean the pump mechanism occasionally. 'Prime' bars with a syringe of chain oil when disassembled. Use correct chain tension (too tight will cause excess heat, too loose will allow chips in). Keep the bar clear of chips. Use decent oil - I have found it its too thick it clogs up the oil pump mechanism and doesn't reach the tip.
Thanks for your reply I’ve ordered a new nose, and I’m repairing the old one.. turned some new rollers up 3.00mm dia x 1.45mm long about 30 off out of silver steel hardened them and assembled the old nose see pic

Attachments

• IMG_6595.jpeg
    IMG_6595.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for your reply I’ve ordered a new nose, and I’m repairing the old one.. turned some new rollers up 3.00mm dia x 1.45mm long about 30 off out of silver steel hardened them and assembled the old nose see pic
Respect! Serious skill and ingenuity there. I've heard the rollers have a habit of pinging all over the place.

Respect! Serious skill and ingenuity there. I've heard the rollers have a habit of pinging all over the place.
Yeah I have one of the best lathes you can get Hardinge HLVH.. I had to dish both sides cos they had flared apart where the chain had wedged in between both sides used a ring and a socket in vice I’ll finish and post some pic.. the new nose has arrived 👍

Latest posts

Back