Bar question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crackhead

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have found my bars are not flat on the top. One has a groove in the two pieces where the chain rides, and the other is uneven, or the two pieces slant.

Can I file these even if I don't take two much off?

Thanks,

C.H.

You sure can. I put the bar in a bench vise and use a flat file and carpenter’s tri-square to do it. It is not as easy to take “too much” off with a flat file. Better check the chain and sprocket for wear also.

The best way to do it is to take the bar to a shop with a bar machine. The machine is much more precise than using a file although Pferd does make a tool sold through Baileys that is suppose to do a good job. I think the price on the tool is about $15.

Ben, i have the tool that you are talking about and i works pretty good. i use it to take the burrs off the edges of the bar and to level the top:angel:

I've always used an almost worn out round file seems to take more off than a flat file, an after about three months , some bar sqeezes, a few tips i usually buy a new one.

Back