Best Bar And Chain For 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RON K.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After some advise from some of you and much thought,I am going to buy a 346XP.I'm going to use it to cut firewood.I'm going to use a 16"bar.What would be the best bar and chain to use?Thankyou for the help.

Last edited:
Hi Ron, if the wood is clean, not skidded with a bunch of ground in dirt, Oregon 21LP or 34LG works well. This is round ground chisel. I like the larger cutter of the 21LP best although it does have a goofy assed bumper link. I`ve found that the 346 balances nicely with a 20" bar but if you are bucking into a pile, the 16"er will be handier. The stock bar that comes with the saw should be an Oregon Power Match in Husky clothing from what I have seen, not one of the cheaper and flimsier laminated bars like they use on the other Huskies of this displacement. You might want to verify that for yourself. Make sure that you can`t see any evidence of spot welds on the bar. Power Match is a good bar, some say it has a weak nose, comparatively speaking, but that shouldn`t be a problem unless you do ALOT of plunging. I have never blown out a nose before the bar was also worn out with these bars. Greasing regularly, cleaning the bar groove for proper oiling, proper chain tension, and being careful not to pinch or flex the tip pay off in longer life. Russ

Hi Ron,

I would run what it comes with. It's .325 pitch, but also a narrow kerf (oregon 95VP chain-66 drive links) design that runs with the narrow kerf bar. I have a 346 that I use for limbing and bucking the small stuff. I tried some 33LG on a 20 inch bar and wasn't overwhelmingly impressed, kinda dogged it. If I was gonna run a bar longer than 16" I would definitlely stick w/ the narrow kerf chain. If the saw is pulling less bulk through the kerf it will cut faster. Some guys may disagree with me on the 95vp but I like it so far.

Hi again, Ron and Newfie. I`ve run the 95VP on a 345 that I`ve got and have to admit that it seems like a pretty good chain, all things considered. Depending on your needs, it could be all that you want. I`ve got to admit a little skepticism though since we are talking about buying a 346XP to run it on. My two fave dealers are setting them up with the Husky chain with a "21" on the tang, sure looks just like the Oregon 21LP I buy now for my 345. I guess the difference between a Walkerized saw and a stock saw is that my Walkerized 346XP handles a 20" bar full of 73LG with ease. That`s right, full size 3/8's pitch! That`s also in hardwood, I don`t have much occassion to cut softwoods unless they are in the way. I use it for felling, limbing, and bucking anything the 20" bar will reach through. I love this saw, it`s like a little sports car. Remember that with small cube saws like the 346XP, the chain has to be sharp, sharp, sharp, and to keep the R's up. Do this and you won`t be disappointed. Based on my experience with this saw, I would also heartily recommend having it Walkerized. Russ

ron, I own a walkerized 346xp, with a 20 inch bar and a full chisel chain. The saw runs so fast, it can't clean well enough, and chatters. I don't know what to tell you. Any help from these guys would be great.

Back