Best saw for this year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
I haven't run any of this year's saws yet. Ya see, when you run Stihls you don't need to replace them every year!

Best

Best running, gimme an 066 with the muffler opened up. Best seller and stihl reliable? That POS MS290. Only 2 out of commision since the model started.
Overall, my 034. Haven't found anything I like better.

bestest to me

this MS460 with the old magnum muffler last longer on a tank of gas than any of the other 46s i've had wouldnt trade it for nothing

The best overall saw of the year is "Stihl" an 026 becuase it does 95% of tasks so ???? well. Open up the muffler and it'll do 98%!! Husky 346XP get's close runner up award.

Best little saw is the Echo CS3000/3400 series. They take a beat'n and keep on tick'n.

The most underated saw manufacturer is still Makita Dolmar. If they had a decent distribution channel they'd give the big guys a serious run for their money.

The best new saw lineup probably goes to John Deere.

Best big saw remains 066. 372XP is best medium big saw.

The most aggressive marketing goes to Husqvarna. (e-tail, retail, and dealers and a large product portfolio to juggle among the channels while trying to keep everyone happy.)

The saws that will reign supreme forever continue to be Stihl 028/038.

The best dual purpose boat anchor/chainsaw award goes to Stihl 029/039.

I agree with stihltech re the old 066 Magnum's, I have two. Of the saws I've run, the 372 has to be the best combination of weight and speed ever. It has to be a great saw to surpass the 044's.

I'm lusting after the Dolmar PS-7900, which at a pwr to weight ratio of 1.37, blows all previous saws out of the water, including the old 046 with good muffler. Anyone here even seen one?

I diasagree on the 026, it has a too soft anti-vib system, poor quality master control; the 346 is a better saw, as is the Shindaiwa 488, 1/2 lb slighter than both, same power, and built amazingly solid. Also, the 346, as the 372, 357, and 385, all get much bigger power gains when modified.

My current number 1 money maker is my Walkerized 335, running perfectly now for 4 months.

Biggest disappointment, my Craftsman/Solo 651SP. Sears refunded me about 10% of my ebay price due to their misrepresentation. The brochure that still comes with the saws
says it has 4.1 hp, which would make it the 651 Pro. Wrong. Even Greffardized, it still cant beat my 036 Pros. Plus, if left on its side, oil and gas slowly siphon out, like some old Huskys.

Dennis if I can unload my boat this year I will check with you and see if that 670 is still avail. I wouldnt need another mid size for the rest of my life:D

Whats That Word They Use to Describe a Tree about to Fall?

Hi there, it's been so long since I felled any timber that I cant recall the proper word to use when the wood is about to do the horizontal mombo.
Anyway, its good to holler something out in the event that some bird watchers may be in the vicinity.

Whats That Word They Use to Describe a Tree about to Fall?

Oh, I remember now! You yell, " Run! The Tree bylaw Officer is coming!"
John in Jail

Hey Dennis, thought you were red & black through & through....had to hurt to say the 385 was your "saw of the year":D Guess it goes to show you, color is only "plastic" deep!!!!

Jeff

Dont Listen to Gyro

Hey there, dont listen to that Gyro boy when it comes to saws, hell , I told him his chain was on backwards, but he continues to argue that he only put the powerhead on upside down.
Anyway, gyro likes the 385 for falling, but I like a 2171 by Den for bucking on the landing. He tells me he's gettin an 088 by Dunn, so I better get a bigger Johnny Red by Den when we get into some decent green gold.
Gyro's Bro

Eat Your Heart Out!

Hey there, Hi there, Hoe there,
We had lots of fun today, comuning with the trees and all.
John's brother John

The Business End of the Slicer & Dicer

Hey there, here's my favourite saw, but I'm not gonna tell ya who built it, or they'll be lined up at the gate.
Frank's Planks

Hey there, I know what you guys are thinkin'. You think I made those cuts with an Art Martin chain after seeing the sawdust and all, but thats just my free hand filing with a round file.
The truth is that a Martin chain will cut at least 3X faster than anything I can file, but I would never use it on anything but barkless ,knotless clean wood.
Thanks Art,
John

Latest posts

Back