Bigger bar???? Bigger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldSkewlLogger

Reaction score
I'm still pretty much a novice compared to you guys but bare with me and my silly questions.
Say the manufacture of a saw recomends a bar 24-36 inchs, but i'm not pleased with that. If the saw was mainly used for extremly soft WooD could I put a slightly larger bar on my saw with full skip chain?? eh??
Or better yet let one of you hot saw junkies go crazy and make my saw breath fire with an unlimited bar length???? J/K
I only need to drop a few cotton woods and willow, I 'm not gonna go out and get another saw just to take care of this one job. Still taking it easy on my new husky to break her in. The willow is only worthy of a mcculloch ehehe not my husky!

LAter
-JD

Oldskewl..never use an "eh" out of context...lol...you will make one of them crazy Ontario guys take off their clothes...

A bigger bar wont hurt too much as long as its not for extended periods of time and working the saw too hard...if you are cutting some monster softwoods...and need the length..go for it...if the manufacture has recomended up to 36" then you must be using a fairly decent sized saw to start with...

I have had a 36" Sandvik Chrome bar on one of my 930's for 4 years now...use it for stumping at the golf course...(gotta earn my seasons pass) and it is just fine....cuts a way faster obviously with a smaller bar...but the saw isnt any worse for wear...

The main problem I have seen with longer bars on smaller saws is when guys get limbing trees..and run down the tree with saw wide open and trying to knock limbs off...almost always cracks the crankcase near the barstuds...

Here's what you do when you need to cut really big softwoods. This is a a photo of Chainsaw-57 and some of his saws. Notice the McCulloch 110 in front:

Where's that pic Lambert had of the 6' bar on the 026?

Be careful not to lug the engine and keep your rpms up and you can go slightly larger on the bar. Keep in mind though you can cut almost anything east of the Rockies with a 28" bar

MAC 110 Double-Ender

Hey you guys making fun of my 110? I am trying to find time to finish a Mac 110, Double-Ender with a 6' bar. The saw in the picture is functional, my wife calls it a Two-Woman saw .:) The people at Steam and Antique Engine Shows pay more attention to the Mac than my Disston's or Reed Prentice, not to mention the 20 or so other saws I display. The two-man Malls do draw some attention though. So many saws, so little time. :cool: Larry

Latest posts

Back