Biggest Bar on a MS250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldschooljeep48

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know Stihl says 16-18" but if I run a full skip chain, what size bar can I get away with? I have one job with a 40" silver maple and up till now I have not needed anything larger as I just do small felling of dead trees and storm cleanup. Id like a new 660 but wondering if I can get away with what I already have and just make it work...

While the bigger bar may "fit", you'll have a hard time getting enough oil on it from the MS 250 to keep it from burning up. The larger and more powerful saws have bigger and adjustable oilers that can keep a long bar like that lubricated.

Sounds like as good an excuse as any to get that 660 :chainsaw:

While the bigger bar may "fit", you'll have a hard time getting enough oil on it from the MS 250 to keep it from burning up. The larger and more powerful saws have bigger and adjustable oilers that can keep a long bar like that lubricated.

Sounds like as good an excuse as any to get that 660 :chainsaw:

:agree2:

Look at it this way. You have a trailer rated for 10,000#. Is it OK to put 16000# on it?

:cheers:

:agree2:

Look at it this way. You have a trailer rated for 10,000#. Is it OK to put 16000# on it?

:cheers:

16k, no. 12k and only going a couple miles down the road, sure. I understand the right tool for the job, and being respectful of the tools capabilites and limits, but I really only need it for the base 10' worth of cuts. I can justify the new 660, but do I really NEED it if I can make do with what I have?

That bar mount is not common to other Stihl saws. I don't think you'll find bigger than an 18" at the dealers, but maybe aftermarket. For the cost of the bar and chain, you could go rent a Makita 6401 at Home Depot, and take it back with a thrashed chain.

That bar mount is not common to other Stihl saws. I don't think you'll find bigger than an 18" at the dealers, but maybe aftermarket. For the cost of the bar and chain, you could go rent a Makita 6401 at Home Depot, and take it back with a thrashed chain.

That may be the way to go. If I can line up a few more jobs I can just swing for the bigger saw, but buying a 660 and only using it a few times a year might be overkill for me.

Why not go with an upgrade that you would use more often? MS-361 or 362?? A 440 or 441 maybe for a little more yank? These have the capability of running the larger bars if needed and also make killer every day saws with a 18-20" bar.
Keep the 250 for smaller limbing jobs etc...

belated Welcome to the forum!! Nice to see Elgin being represented here on the forum. I'm not to far from you--west Bartlett. I do most of my cutting in Elgin helping a friend put up firewood. Nice town.

Thaks for the welcome! Next time I run into some extra wood, I will give ya a shout!

I have put a 28 inch bar on my 026 to cut down a 44 inch silver maple , I used a skip tooth chain . I dont think you can get a longer bar than a 18 inch for your 250 because of its special mount . Another idea might be to just rent a saw for the day you need it ..

I have put a 28 inch bar on my 026 to cut down a 44 inch silver maple , I used a skip tooth chain . I dont think you can get a longer bar than a 18 inch for your 250 because of its special mount . Another idea might be to just rent a saw for the day you need it ..

Thats what I am finding on the bar too...

I guess its rent or buy a 460... (the 660 is too much for my needs)

Unless you really really want another saw ......................Ok buy a 460
I was going to talk you out of it but then I own 9 stihls so for get that thought .
If you want to save a few bucks check out what your sthl dealer has used . I have found some real nice saws that way .

That may be the way to go. If I can line up a few more jobs I can just swing for the bigger saw, but buying a 660 and only using it a few times a year might be overkill for me.

Or better yet, Buy one of the Home depot Dolkita DCS6401 rental saws, You can buy them for around $200 ready to go, call around at your local Home Depots (I live in CT and we have 10 of them within 40 miles).

You'll probably find one that has one ready for retirement, and You can sell it usually for more than you paid if you decide not to keep it.

Don't forget they are a great saw, and are upgradable with a 84cc BB kit from baileys.:cheers:

I was in a similar situation with my 61 rancher. the oiler is adjustable, so it was put to max. I ran a 30" full skip to deal with some large pines. It did it, but it was not happy about it. S l o w.... was the operative word.

kept an eye and nose on teh clutch to make sure it was not slipping.

Back