Dump Trailer sidewall height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightone

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm wanting to buy a dump trailer for a tree service company that I am starting. It would be used mostly for hauling out larger chunks, but I was also thinking that in the future (when I get a chipper) I could build up the sidewalls a bit and use it for a chip trailer as well. I currently have access to a larger skid steer that could be used for lifting and dumping the larger pieces into the trailer, however, in the future I would like to get a smaller dingo/mini skid steer for when I'm working in more confined areas.

My question is would a 24" sidewall or a 48" sidewall be better?

The pros I see for a 48" sidewall are: out of the box it has more capacity and it built stronger for the larger logs that will be put into it. Also it is already fairly high height for a chip trailer. I'm worried that a mini-skid/dingo won't be able to read high enough to dump over the sides though.

The pros I see for the 24" sidewall are: I know the mini skid would be able to reach over the sidewalls to dump material, and it is slightly cheaper then a 48" sidewall.

Thoughts?

Back