Bow Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A Discussion With a Buddy of mine yesterday left us wundering what hapenened to bow saws? We were discussing The small pulpwood operations that Used to be all over the area that have since dissapeared. I remember when almost every brand of saw had a few Bow saw models. Ive seen in Baileys that you can purchase a bar and figured that liability Reasons probably ended the sale of the complete saw. But as usual I knew on Arboristsite My question would be answered. :blob2:

I think osha outlawed them. I don't understand exactly how your supposed to work them. I got a buddy with mac super 66 (I think) with a bow on it.

I used one once for about 10 minutes. They were pretty fast for bucking pulp and small bolts if you were used to them. They did take getting used to and I think they seemed even easier to wreck chains with by cutting dirt.

There was a hook or dog, and covers over the straight sections of the thing. Operator hooked the dog against the pull of the chain, kind of rocked the whole works into and through the log.

I have heard of a similar style being used for cutting thick undergrowth and brush, but haven't seen it done.

Back