Box store 27 ton splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been looking online at the box store/farm store splitters. They all look the same just painted and priced differently. Is that the general consensus? The cheapest one happens to be the closest one. It's Rural King's Crimson Force 27 ton for $1099. The other 27 ton is Home Depot 60 miles away for $1299. They look identical just painted different. Same thing?

I've been looking online at the box store/farm store splitters. They all look the same just painted and priced differently. Is that the general consensus? The cheapest one happens to be the closest one. It's Rural King's Crimson Force 27 ton for $1099. The other 27 ton is Home Depot 60 miles away for $1299. They look identical just painted different. Same thing?
All about the same. Engine brand may vary. I forget what was on the rural king one I looked at. I ended up with my second TSC 27T for $899 this spring with a Kohler engine which has been pretty reliable.Other than rebuilding the cylinder on the first one it stihl runs fine after a 100 or more cords thru it.
Edit. The first one was built by Speeco. The 2nd one not sure of mfg.

My guess is that these days the majority are built by MTD, just like all of the box store lawn mowers and tillers. That said, I bought my MTD 27 ton splitter used for $475, and have no complaints about it. I'm sure that the engine will go south at some point, but a quick trip to HF will fixe that problem.

Back