Burrs on my straps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyjack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have burrs on the bottom side of the tie-straps on my chain where it contacts the bar. What could be causing this to happen.

This is what I do know:

I'm running an 044, 24" bar

New Stihl RM Chain, hand sharpened 3X

New Rim Sprocket

No Burrs on the bar.

Bar is not bemt as far as I can tell.

Depth in the bar groove is within spec. (The lower teeth on the chain that ride in the bar groove do not seem to be bottoming out, since there is no wear on the bottom of them.)

The only thing I can think of is that I did get it stuck in a bore cut yesterday, but i didn't try to hoarse the saw out. I chopped the stuck bar out with an axe. After, I looked at the chain and noticed the wear on the bottom of all the tie straps.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Happyjack

Burrs are caused from throwing the chain. A worn sprocket can cause premature wear of the drive teeth on the chain and make it easy for the chain to come off. If your chain keeps getting thrown, time for a new sprocket and chain.

If the chain was installed backwards, and tensioned, then the saw was run, it could also burr the chain. A dremel tool can be used to smooth each drive link, its just time consuming

CJ

Thanks for the suggestions.

I took the bar off and noticed that the oil holes were plugged up on the bar. I was cutting some dead trees and it musy have plugged them up and didn't let enough oil get to the chain. I ran the saw (at an idle with the bar off and the oiled was working just fine.

Thanks for the Dremel tool suggestion. I'll try that.

Back