Busted out of Asheville! - hunting for intermediate chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just keep working from the top back towards the stump. When the tree gets a little bounce to it, it's going to try to stand up if you take much more weight off. At that point, go back to where the home owner made the original cut, and take it off there.

Im not sure if i can describe how i woud make this cut. It involves pulling the saw 3/4 of the way out of the cut, and cutting most uf the way down with just the tip, then plunging in for the last 8". Then go back to the top and finish the cut making sure to use wedges to keep from pinching your bar.

If that doesn't make sense, another way would be to make an under cut about 1" lower than where you plan on cutting. Go in about 6". Then move to the top, and cut cut it. Once you get in far enough, drive a wedge in it and finish the cut. Either way, rhe root ball will probably stand up so make sure everyone is out of its way.

Personally, I cut 1/4 of the way down from the top then pound a few wedges in. Cut up from underneath a bar or two width. Go back to the top and finish the cut. Let that saw eat!
I never start by limbing the top out as I don’t want the tree to stand up when I’m cutting it.
Once it’s free of the root ball, I’d be cutting that log into 8-10’ lengths to be sawn for lumber at a latter date as lumber will be needed for rebuilding.
Just drag it off to the side with a truck and chain.
Then on to the next one.

Philbert - on saws with an inboard clutch / outboard sprocket is the ability to use your own saw to cut out a stuck bar, by pulling the powerhead, and mounting the other bar. Pretty easy: done it several times.

That's genius! Why did I never think of that. much lighter to carry a duplicate bar (same length, means no extra chains) than a second saw.

A second saw is still a good idea: saws get finicky.

But it’s good to have options.

Sometimes, if a saw is stuck, I can pull the powerhead; then I can pull the bar out; then I can pull the chain, or get a wedge in there.

Then, reassemble.

Sometimes.

Philbert

Great, what you are doing. Not sure it has sunk in just how bad that place is . I40 west of Asheville schedule to reopen Sept. 2025. Two lanes of I40 East open. I wouldn't bet the railroads will even fix them. A foot of red mud where communities used to be. Probably find human remains for months, much less horses , cows, dogs

A second saw is still a good idea: saws get finicky.

But it’s good to have options.

Sometimes, if a saw is stuck, I can pull the powerhead; then I can pull the bar out; then I can pull the chain, or get a wedge in there.

Then, reassemble.

Sometimes.

Philbert
I never go out dealing with blow downs etc without a high lift jack, and working in situations with limited services, or none at all as in disaster situation, keep clean, keep alert, keep alive.
So no ladders, unless you have a higher safe tie in point.

Back